Liver Transplant Information

3d rendered anatomy illustration of a human body shape with highlighted liver

There is great hope with Hepatitis C, no matter what stage you are in.  Early diagnosis and new treatments available can help Hep C patients and their families receive a cure, as well as those who are diagnosed with advanced stages and may require liver transplant.

There are two types of Liver Transplants, Total Donor Transplant and Living Donor Transplant.  There are many questions concerning Liver Transplant and the issues with Hepatitis C.

The American Liver Foundation describes a liver transplant is the process of replacing a sick liver with a donated, healthy liver. Liver Transplants require that the blood type and body size of the donor match the person receiving the transplant.

Currently more than 6,000 liver transplants are performed each year in the United States.  Liver transplant surgery usually takes between four and twelve hours.  Most patients stay in the hospital for up to three weeks after surgery.

Donated livers come from living and non-living donors. Living donors can donate a part of their liver. The donated and the remaining part of the donor’s liver will regenerate and grow to the size the body needs in weeks.

Most donated livers come from people who recently died and had no liver injury. Non-living donors either have agreed to be organ donors or their families decide after they have passed away.  A smaller amount of liver transplants come from living donors which involve specific requirements. In all cases, donors and families are Hero’s for Life for those battling liver disease.

Today we are featuring two important medical video’s.  Dr. Joseph Galati M.D, with Liver Specialist of Texas, will share the Five Most Common Questions Liver Transplant Patients Ask.

Our second video discusses, Liver Transplant from a Living Donor.

Each will address important questions and answers common to Liver Transplant patients and in depth information regarding the difference between the two types of transplants.

Do you have a question about liver transplant? Have you or a loved one gone through a liver transplant?

Share your comments below.

Helpful medical information about liver transplants and the steps for evaluation.

1. American Liver Foundation.
  2. Liver Transplant from John Hopkins
  3. Liver Specialist of Texas/Dr. Joseph Galati M.D.
  4. The Washington University and Barnes-Jewish Hospital Liver Transplant Program.
  5. Liver Transplant from UT Southwest Medical
  6. Information on Living Donor Transplants from UNOS (United Network for Organ Sharing)
  7. Liver Transplants at Duke University in North Carolina
  8. The Mayo Clinic Liver Transplant Program
  9. The Liver Institute: Dallas, Texas/Methodist Health

Related Articles:

Understanding the MELD Score for Liver Transplant Patients

Hepatitis C Journey: Facing the Giants Wholeheartedly

Facing the Future with Hep C

10 Responses to Liver Transplant Information

1. John Edwards August 5, 2014 at 6:46 pm #

Hi Connie, John Edwards here, I’m delighted to see you focusing on Hep C / Liver Transplant. As you know I have had a Liver transplant 8 years ago and have just recently finished my Hep C treatment. My treatment has been successful but difficult, several complications but nevertheless v successful. I’m still ‘Non Detectable’ I’m delighted I had both the transplant and the Hep C treatment, it’s been well worth it, we just need to focus ourselves and get on with it. I had to get 41 units of blood transfused, yes difficult but well worth it. I encourage any transplant patient to go ahead with your Hep C treatment when you feel ready, yes, when you feel ready, I could have got my hep c treatment 2 years ago but wasn’t ready mentally to do it. When your up for it go for it. Thanks for all you do Connie. John.

• Connie M August 5, 2014 at 7:30 pm #

Hi John,
      Thank you so much for commenting and sharing about your liver transplant and Hep C treatment. I am thrilled to hear your great news of being Non-Detected!!! Yippee!!!! Virtual High Five to you my friend and a huge Praise to the Lord for all He has done and continues to do in your progress. John you are definitely a Hep C Warrior and Hero!!
      Thank you for sharing your encouragement and courage with all of us.

Please keep us posted on how you’re doing.
      You continue to be in my prayers daily.
      Special Blessings my friend,

2. richard May 13, 2015 at 8:11 am #

Connie, I agree the donor and their family are heros. I believe it is important to get treatment for hepatitis c as soon as possible.Know one should wait if at all possible. My liver cancer and cirrhosis were so far advanced that it was felt that the transplant was necessary before the treatment. The Lord has perfect timing. Since I had hemophilia, factor 11, the operation was extremely complicated. I had to go back in the operating room twice because of excessive bleeding. Even though they did plasma exchange beforehand. I probably used up most of the blood bank at the hospital? I don’t know, but I do know the Lord Jesus Christ was in that operating room with me, and He was in my room in critical care when every doctor and nurse on the floor was in my room and I was bleeding out.He is our Protector and Savior who died on the cross for are sins, and was resurrected so that He could send the Holy Spirit to be with us. Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. His bondservant, Richard.

• Connie M May 13, 2015 at 10:11 am #

Thank you for sharing your experience Richard. I am so thankful to the Lord for you and keeping you safe and protected through your entire journey. For those of you who have gone through all of this and sharing encouragement is a lifeline of hope to others.

God Bless you my friend,

3. Margaret Polino Nicholas February 7, 2018 at 3:38 am #

Dear Connie,
    I learned so much watching the videos you have shared, regarding liver transplant. I would like to ask prayer for a dear Facebook friend, Rick Yeager. Rick is growing weaker each day and is now hospitalized with influenza!
    This post you shred was so informative!
    Please all Hep C Warriors let’s have unending prayer for, Rick Yeager, our brother in Christ !!
    Thank you my dear friend Connie!
    All my love,
    Margee

• Connie M February 7, 2018 at 10:28 am #

Hi Margee,
      Thank you for sharing today. I’m so glad you found the article and video’s helpful.
      I’ll make sure our prayer team knows about Rick and we’ll all be praying for him.
      Flu is especially bad right now everywhere.
      Keep us posted on how Rick is doing.

4. Roberta February 7, 2018 at 12:34 pm #

I will pray for Rick Yeager, God bless you., warriors, Jesus is so powerful and provides miracle also, Big and small, when we see his intervention and recognize it, its a beautiful moment..
    My daughter told me she calls them God Winks, cause hes watching us. That put a smile on my face, and so i wanted to send that smile to you. Roberta

• Connie M February 7, 2018 at 1:56 pm #

Hi Roberta,
      Thank you for sharing today. We appreciate your prayers for Rick also. It’s wonderful to be reminded of God’s loving care as we go through difficult situations. You’re a mighty warrior and special gal.

5. Richard s. February 7, 2018 at 12:46 pm #

Thanks Connie, Margee, and Roberta for your comments. The Lord is so powerful in our lives. Without Him life would be meaningless. What a blessing to all this post is. Although liver transplant is a painful and complex operation, it is well worth it. One should realize that a liver transplant is a life long commitment and very expensive. It is important to have good insurance, since the costs are astronomical. God bless all the warriors with good health. In Christ, .

• Connie M February 7, 2018 at 1:55 pm #

Thanks for sharing. You’ve gone through a long journey with Hep C, hemophilia, liver cancer and liver transplant yourself. You are one of our special Hep C Hero’s!