~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fighting Hep C can bring its moments of battle fatigue. Hep C Warriors can become weary no matter how many times you draw your sword. It comes with the territory. There’s no warrior immune to the effects liver disease can have on our lives, but we can make a choice.  And there are a lot of good choices to make.

Choosing to recognize if you’re becoming tied in knots by your emotions, expectations, fear or doubts is the first step to regain strength. Then take the next step, choose to lift your head up and ask God to help you take your eyes off of what you can’t control and help you to relax and rest in His presence.

That same spirit and power that raised Christ from the dead is alive in you if you have given your life to him.  That same power is mighty for breaking down the enemy of fear, doubt, worry, anxiety and more.  Diversion. The enemy’s tactic’s to break down a warrior, to take our eyes off of the good fight. Don’t let it happen my friend. There’s no situation that’s hopeless or lost.  Where you’re at right now is NOT the end, don’t be fooled in thinking it is.

Be careful what you think, because your thoughts run your life.  Proverbs 4:23 NCV

Joni Eareckson states this fact, “If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.”

“Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name and you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.” Isaiah 43:1-2 (emphasis mine).

May you be encouraged and fortified in Christ’s spirit today to keep fighting the good fight.  YOU belong to Him.

Facing Fear with Hepatitis C

Help for Fighting the Hep C Giant

Hep C Battle; Conquering Fear

1. Roger G December 1, 2017 at 9:45 am #

Good morning Warriors,
    Today is a special day. First it marks my 5 year anniversary of retirement. Second, and more importantly, it marks my 3 year anniversary of my cure from Hep C. There truly is life beyond hepatitis C. In the years before becoming undetected I was constantly aware of this dreaded dragon reaping havoc against me. Now, 3 years later, I rarely even think about it. It actually seems like its been longer than 3 years. For those still in the battle – don’t ever give up. I went through 3 terrible treatment experiences before my cure. Believe me I didn’t even want to try a fourth treatment. But it was so worth it. This site and my faith were so valuable during those failed treatments. I wish all warriors good health and God’s blessings.

• Connie M December 1, 2017 at 10:04 am #

Hi Roger,
      Congratulations on 2 special anniversaries!! Praise God!! I always love to hear others mile markers and their victories. The inspiration and encouragement it brings to others is priceless. We are thrilled for you. God truly does shine His light of hope in our dark and difficult places. Thanks for sharing my friend.

I’m throwing some virtual confetti your way today!
      Enjoy this special day!

• Hernando December 1, 2017 at 10:31 am #

Good morning Roger. Thank you for posting. Congratulations on both of those mile markers. We need to hear testimony about the wondrous works of God in our lives. It brings hope to those that are still in the struggle against HepC and liver disease. The Lord is faithful and his promises are true. ” Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever” .Psalm 23. We are all blessed to witness the Lord’s blessings. Let us all keep testifying to that miraculous power of Jesus Christ in our lives. Peace, love and blessings, Hernando

2. Connie M December 1, 2017 at 10:12 am #

Howdy Hep C Warriors,
    I’m thinking of all of you today. I hope if you’re facing battle fatigue today you’ll remember to take a moment and evaluate what’s really going on and see if you’re mentally, emotionally or just physically tired. When we feel overwhelmed we often take our eyes off of the savior and focus on the storm. Don’t go there. Fix your eyes on Christ and tell him all that you’re feeling. Take things one step at a time, and keep on fighting the good fight. You will regain your strength to carry on.

Shout out how you’re doing. We love to hear from everyone. We are here to come along beside you.
    We’re all in this together.

Please remember our fellow warrior John who is recovering from his liver transplant. He is doing well but still in the hospital.

Many Blessings dear friends,

• Hernando December 1, 2017 at 10:36 am #

Blessings dear Connie. Thank you for the post. Know that you always bring a smile to my lips. I keep all of our warriors in prayer. I am glad to hear John’s update. Peace, love and blessings, Hernando

• Connie M December 1, 2017 at 10:50 am #

Hi Hernando,
        Thanks for sharing today. How are you doing my friend? I hope you’re feeling better.
        You are always in my thoughts and prayers.

And thank you for your very kind words, you are so sweet, I appreciate it! The Lord is the one shining.

You are a blessing to us!
        Have a Grand Day!!

3. Richard s. December 1, 2017 at 12:21 pm #

Good morning warriors, what a blessing we have in our Lord Jesus Christ. He is God Almighty and is able to do all miracles. It has been almost four years since my liver transplant and liver cancer. Again, I remind all those who still have hep c to take the new medicines. The Lord has provided a cure and we all must take advantage of it. Dont give up. All of you are such a blessing to me my brothers and sisters. My continued prayers for all, especially John. He really is a miracle. I remember being in icu for almost three weeks. John really is a fighter and is showing great progress. In Christ,Richard.

• Connie M December 1, 2017 at 3:50 pm #

Every single warrior on this website is awesome. Each one unique and special and God is working a great work in each one’s life. You one of those who are in my Hep C Warrior Hall of Frame. Thank you for always encouraging others to not give up and keep persevering. Encouragement and support are huge in this journey to each warrior.

It’s hard to believe it’s been almost 4 years from your liver transplant. Wow! Praise God!! You are such a blessing to us. I’m so sorry you’ve had to go through so much, but God Bless for being here with us.

4. Suzanne December 1, 2017 at 12:24 pm #

Hi everyone,
    Hernando glad to hear you are well and am sure when John returns to the forum you and Richard will be a huge help to him. I am sure this is very new for him. I bought him a card and hours later Mark came home with one also so he has 2 on the way. I listened to you from beginning to the end Hernando and watched you grow with Christ as well.

Roger, 3 years already, doesn’t it seem a lifetime ago? Sovaldi came out after the beginning of 2013 and through being very proactive had everything lined up so when I got the call from Gilead I was able to begin to start this medicine in December of 2012 so March of 2013 was my first “not detected” after a failed treatment. Wow!! I have seen God work many miracles on this website and a most recent one with John. God Bless Connie for beginning this website because even though I had a church family the people on this website were the ones I leaned on and of course our good Lord.. God Bless all of you!

in Christ,

• Connie M December 1, 2017 at 3:53 pm #

Well my friend, you are on the threshold of any important mile marker yourself, and now look at how great you’ve done and what all God is doing in your life. You are amazing! If we had a cheer squad, you’d be leading the pack. You are always so ready to offer support and encouragement as well as prayer to everyone. Thank you for shining for Jesus so beautifully!

5. Connie M December 1, 2017 at 4:06 pm #

6. Joe December 3, 2017 at 10:23 am #

Hello all Hep C peeps

I am a long time victim of Hep C. I first jaundiced in 1979 and was hospitalized yet the diagnoses then was simply “hepatitits”. 1989 when the virus was isolated I was tested and confirmed Hep c. I dont know if I was dual infected with B and C , i do have anti bodies to B.

I am genotype 1a

year 2000 treated with Interferon alone 6 months. Very sick during and the virus became undetectable until 4 weeks after I stopped treatment it was back.

year 2002 I was treated with Ribavirin and Interferon. Same results only sicker.

2011 my GI recommended I do the NEW treatment which was three drug regimen, Interferon Pegylated, Ribavirin and Victrellis.

Please not that the ONLY time I felt ANY SICKNESS was during the treatments – until the one in 2011 -2012.

I had a great career. My wife and I were both working and doing well financially. I had great energy when not on any treatment and traveled frequently. Life was good to us.

The last treatment I was told I would do 12 months since I failed two treatments already. The first month was interferon and ribavirin alone and Victrellis would be added in month 2. By the end of month 1 I was in the hospital with a deficient RBC. Weak, very weak…. I was given Procrit to rebuild my red blood cells. I started to regain strength and Victrellis was added.

Lost all ability to eat, I couldnt swallow anything, even rice would get stuck in my esophagus. I began to lose weight RAPIDLY and by month three had failed from 180 lbs to 138 lbs. I looked like I was a concentration camp survivor. By month 5 I couldnt take it anymore…I felt as if I would die. Weak, depressed, anxious and slowly starving to death,

My Dr encouraged me to continue. Was out on short term disability which was turning into long term. I couldnt do it anymore, I was certain I would die if I did. I stopped. The Dr told me that the side effects would go away in about 3 weeks and I could return to work. The virus was back, viral load > 500,000. I tired to go back to work, I couldnt do it. The side effects lasted and to this day 6 years alter I still cannot eat properly, I have ZERO appetite. I can go all day and night and not get hungry. I live on Ensures and maybe one small solid forced down each day. I dont enjoy food anymore, the taste, the textures, I used to love to eat and cook. All gone. The Depression continued and 29 diff anti depressants tried with no success. The psyche gave up trying. I settled into a life I did not know or like, home all the time, never going out, not wanting to eat, my wife watching me and concerned of course. Ive seen several doctors and no one could come up with answers as to what happened to me from that last treatment in 2011-12

I was being encouraged again by a new GI to do Harvoni. I waited to see real life reports of side effects etc. Finally this year, I reluctantly agreed. After the last treatment I certainly had a bit of PTSD where treating again was concerned. My life was ruined, my career gone. Now we lost our oly son to the opioid crisis this past August and we are raising our 6 year old grandchild forever. We had taken her in a couple years back since the drug addiction in his house was rampant. Now we adopted her. I got a long way to go with her and that was part of my reason to do the Harvoni to at least stop the liver damage. I had a liver fibrosis test ( I wont allow biopsies anymore ) and scored a F2 out of 1-4. Meaning my liver was half scar tissue. ironically it wasnt like this before the treatment in 2011 so I dont know what caused the damage, the virus or the drugs.

I just completed the Harvoni treatment two weeks ago. Virus once again undetectable but now we wait three months to test again to declare a victory or not against this virus. My GBT is still elevated but AST and ALT are normal as is bilirubin. Nothing else in my blood work indicates anything wrong yet still, no appetite at all.

This is concerning me greatly as its now been years since I have eaten properly. Even with Calcium supplements my bones have thinned and I am high risk for fracture.

I feel no Dr is listening to me and I suspect they think my issues are all in my head. My brain and stomach are not connected, there is no signal to eat at all.

So this is my great concern now. What happened during that last treatment that caused this lasting issue? Why is it that no Dr has a specialist to send me to that can help figure this out? I know my body, they dont. Am I depressed? Who wouldnt be! But you cant fix EVERYTHING with a pill! Situational depression is caused by situations not chemicals! You dont treat broken bones with chemicals right?

During my travels on Facebook I connected with two people who also had the SAME issue from the SAME treatment. SO I KNOW this is not a head fake that I am doing to myself, hunger pains dont exist at all.

Anyone? Any thoughts? Similar experience? Cures for the appetite? Whats the point of being cured of the virus if I will never eat right again?

Feeling so discouraged now…..please no religious stuff. I spent more than 15 year as a born again, raised in catholic home and school, I am agnostic now and can respect your views -please respect mine. Thank you.

• Connie M December 4, 2017 at 11:49 am #

Hi Joe,
      I appreciate your sharing your experience. You’ve definitely gone through a lot. I relate. I had 2 unsuccessful treatments prior to my 3rd treatment. I understand about going through treatment with Interferon and Ribavirin since I did that 3 times and with my third treatment I was also on Incivek, which is also no longer on the market due to improved treatment now available. I also had a long journey and it was rough with very harsh side effects, etc… I know you’re frustrated on why you’ve dealt with lasting after effects and no doctor understanding and not knowing what to do about it. Unfortunately a lot of doctor’s don’t really understand all the in’s and out’s of recovery since the main goal is to eliminate the virus.

For every patient, treatment as well as recovery is a always a bit different and timeline’s of recovery are different. So many factors play a part, how our bodies react to the medication, our liver condition, any other medical conditions we may have, diet, mental and emotional health, you name it, there are so many parts that go into our overall health and recovery from Hep C and liver disease. Unfortunately on the medical side, there is no cookie cutter outcome for everyone since so many factors are involved with us individually.

I wish I had all the answers medically, but unfortunately we don’t. But I do know we have to keep seeking, and never give up while taking proactive steps toward better health, physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually, since that is how we are made.

Have you ever reported the adverse side effects to the FDA? If not here is the link, and I encourage you to at least report these. https://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

I hope and pray you will receive a Non Detected report.
      Keep us posted on how you’re doing.

We care about how you’re doing, I wish I had more answers to help. But I do know nothing is impossible and getting better is possible. We are here for you.

7. Joe December 3, 2017 at 10:28 am #

Almost 40 years now since I first jaundiced. I hate to say this but I think if I left it all alone my life would still be intact. Perhaps the earlier treatments were worse than the disease? Harvoni was easy breezy, some light headaches and stomach upset in the early days but it all went away and I finished the course of 12 weeks with no adverse reactions that I could not handle. From experience I say avoid RIBAVIRIN AT ALL COSTS! And if Harvoni is out of reach cost wise I can tell you it did not cost me a dime. My Dr office worked with a specialty pharma who got my insurer a special rate. The co pay of 30% went way down and that they got from a liver foundation. I did nothing they did it all and for that I am very grateful. That was GI Associates in Crystal River Florida. Dr Chandraputla ( Dr Shree ). Great people.

• Connie M December 4, 2017 at 11:54 am #

Hi Joe,
      I am so glad that your treatment with Harvoni was a totally different experience. It’s great to hear about the help with the patient assistance programs you received. Others need to hear there is hope and help with programs.

Thanks for sharing.