Sharing Your Hepatitis C Diagnosis By Hep C Warrior Suzanne

I knew something was wrong but couldn’t put my finger on it.  I discussed how I was feeling with my primary care doctor and then did blood work. My doctor said she would call if there was anything to be concerned about. The call came and I was diagnosed with Hepatitis C.

Hep C Warrior Suzanne

There are many words to describe what I was feeling but it seemed to me another concern was how do I tell others?  I didn’t have the knowledge on Hepatitis C so how would I explain this to others.  I do remember hearing Hep C was a direct result of IV drug use but I didn’t fall in that category.

I was so worried about what others would think I lost all sight of the only person I needed to please and that was Jesus.  I prayed on my way back to work and went straight to Human Resources where several sat wanting to hear and I told them I was positive for the Hep C virus.  My doctor had given me a quick 101 on Hepatitis C so I repeated what she told me.  There are many ways to contract this virus and most of us know what those are. See Facts & Myths on How Hepatitis C is Transmitted.

I was shocked at my co-workers response. Each one of them said they would support me in any way they could.  I was given the option to work from home or I could go into the office, either way was my choice.

I feared sharing my diagnosis with others the most and yet by taking time to pray and receive comfort from God first it all came together like the Lord had planned. No one looked down on me and was quite the opposite.  I was referred to Duke University and immediately I was put on a transplant list and the support poured in even more and mind you, I worked for one of the most prestigious Neurology firms in the state.  I felt I wasn’t judged in any way.

I also took this information to my pastors and church family. I’ve  been able to help two people within my church seek treatment. Others at church were supportive as well.

I believe once you share your Hep C diagnosis after the first time it becomes easier each time.  It doesn’t matter how you got Hepatitis C, what is important is seeking treatment.

Sharing your Hep C diagnosis with others isn’t easy so pray God will help you find the words to share about this.  I thought of Isaiah 41 “Do not fear for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold my right hand.”  Verse 13 says, “For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, do not fear, I will help you.”

Sharing can be easier if you’re carrying Jesus Christ with you.

You cannot do this alone so encourage people to talk about this with others because having support makes the difference.  Sharing equals support!

Are you struggling talking to others about your Hep C diagnosis? Or how did you share with others?

Share your comments below.

Liver Facts and Hepatitis C

Facts and Myths about How Hep C is Transmitted

When Others Don’t Understand your Hep C

Letting Others Help; The Value of Hep C Warriors Support

16 Responses to Sharing Your Hepatitis C Diagnosis By Hep C Warrior Suzanne

1. Hernando November 13, 2017 at 8:45 am #

Good morning fellow warriors. It is a beautiful sunshiny day this morning even though it is raining and forty degrees here in New York. May we all be enveloped in the sunshine of the Spirit no matter how cloudy and dreary it is outside. ” You are my lamp, O Lord; the Lord turns my darkness into light.” 2 Samuel 22:29
    Suzanne I love the powerful testimony about your journey with HepC. I see the Lord’s fingerprints all over it. The scriptures from Isaiah 41 are very comforting. Thank you for sharing with us. Peace, love and blessings, Hernando

• Connie M November 13, 2017 at 10:25 am #

Hi Hernando,
      Thank you for sharing the verse from 2 Samuel 22:29 this is also echo’ed in Psalm 18:28 and one of my favorite scriptures. So fitting for everyone but especially for Hep C Warriors and dealing with liver disease.

It’s always so good to hear from you. I can imagine how beautiful it is in New York with all the leaves changing color and Fall season weather. I was up there last year for a conference except that was in March. Hopefully I can get up there again sometime in the Fall.

Let us know how you’re doing. I’m keeping you close in prayer always.

• Roberta November 13, 2017 at 12:25 pm #

Hernando i just looked up that scripture, its
        Wonderful.. I been burning my Jesus candles more.When i get home from work. I love fall but it does get dark early.. I will think of these words as my candles
        are glowing. A comforting scripture.
        Wishing you many blessings….

2. Roberta November 13, 2017 at 9:28 am #

Suzanne, i loved your amazing story, Very few people know i have hep c .. Ive given my doctor permission to give my email and number to others with hep c who want to reach out or have support.. I work in a public high school so, i would not reveal that.. We have training and tutorials we have to do every year on hepatitis at the work place. But i still would not. I believe i would not be treated quite the same. Thats why im happy to have found this web with amazing warriors for support.. im very happy that your situstion revealing your illness has turned out well. Thank you for shining your light, with your story. Many blessings to you and all warriors.
    Sometimes i feel a terrible lonliness with my illness. Anyone feel the same or care to share some light.?

• Connie M November 13, 2017 at 10:46 am #

Hi Roberta,
      I truly understand about how you feel concerning sharing and feeling alone with Hep C. Right after I was diagnosed I felt that way too, and had so many questions and concerns that people would treat me differently. Above all, remember your story is one that you only have to share with whom you feel comfortable sharing. Once I began sharing with others I felt compelled to share the facts about Hep C and this dispelled a lot of myths folks had. In turn many people have told me by sharing my story they went to get tested and told others about Hepatitis C. The more we share, the less stigma there is. God uses our story in amazing ways which can even help save someone’s life.

I’ve had countless numbers of folks who have contacted me telling me they were on the brink of ending their life and because of our sharing our stories they received encouragement, and hope. They’ve said they received hope because of hearing about improved medical treatment for Hep C and especially the hope of Christ, has changed their lives. We never know how wide spread the message of hope can bring to others, but all of us need support and to know others care. Support is huge. No one is immune to going through hard times. Support helps tremendously. We are never alone, we have each others, but above all, Christ is right there by our side every step of the way.

Thank you for sharing my friend. We are here for you. Keep sharing.
      We love to hear from you.

• Roberta November 13, 2017 at 11:04 am #

Connie i so appreciate your kindness and wisdom. I keep Jesus always close, If it wasnt for him i would have been gone along time ago.. Even though i suffer from depression, i give it to Jesus daily. I know he is with me no matter what.. i was reading statistically that there is thousands of people in northwest indiana with hep c, Am hoping to find some of these warriors to give support. Connie maybe you have some suggestions that my help.. what do you thjnk. Im open to suggestions from everybody…much love and thanks

• Connie M November 13, 2017 at 11:11 am #

Hi Roberta,
          It is very true that right now there is a great outbreak of Hep C in the Indiana, Kentucky and surrounding states. Of course we know Hep C is everywhere but support and education are vital in sharing with others the facts, information, and also sharing hope. Sounds like you are asking about starting a physical support group or just about sharing one on one? Let me know and I can give you recommendations.

You are a Mighty Hep C Warrior! I can tell you have a heart to encourage others and care deeply about what others are going through. I’m sending you a Big Ol’ Texas hug my friend.

Let me know which way you’re thinking about sharing and we can go from there.

• Roberta November 13, 2017 at 11:56 am #

Connie i would like to start one on one and see where it takes me. I work afternoons but wouldnt mind sharing with others, by phone or email . I solel contact ony phone as i have no laptop right now. Am not on facebook. I know i really need to be more connected. Hopefull soon ill be purchasing another computer. Maybe black friday around thansgiving., Our world is hurting in so many ways and i can see people act like they are alright alot, when there suffering in many ways.. I do pray alot for others also. People run and seem to not be able to slow down. So your advice i will Surely except.. im glad that i found your site. It has put some hope and light unto my spirit . Cause the flame was burning very low… I think technology is beautiful, but also has put a
            wedge in physical face to face relatioship
            Maybe you have info or where to find hep c connection in my area. You are appreciated.

3. Suzanne November 13, 2017 at 10:04 am #

Good Morning Hernando and certainly glad you have joined us Roberta. I would probably be hesitant as well if I worked in the school system but God had his plan for me all along and being in the medical field was perfect. Today, I do not care where I am if I have the opportunity to help another through my diagnosis I do. This is my story planned by God.

Hernando you truly are my inspiration and have come so far staying focused on Ged no matter how tough it got. Roberta this is the beauty of this website and Connie’s gift of writing we are all there for each other no matter what.

God Bless you both,

• Connie M November 13, 2017 at 10:52 am #

LOVE your article my friend. You did an outstanding job, thank you. We never know how God is going to use our story, but He does use it for good this we know. I learned a long time ago my faith had to be bigger than my fear with Hep C or anything else. Sharing has not only changed my life, but God has used it to help others.
      Thank you my friend for being a courageous warrior on many levels. We love you!!!

4. Roberta November 13, 2017 at 10:34 am #

Thank you Suzanne, Your right revealing your hepc in medical field more supportive, God bless you… I appreciate your input, I love being supportive to others anytime no matter what situation. I believe it helps us too.Keeps are mind off our selves. Im truly blessed to be as healthy as ive been even though im not cured.. Im hoping to meet others here where i live, that have hep c, just not sure which way to go to go. I read theres alot of hep patients in my area but have found none..Say prayers that i will find contact here with others as i continue to pray for love and healing for all warriors..God bless

• Connie M November 15, 2017 at 10:27 am #

Hi Roberta,
      Thanks for sharing your desire to help others. There are many ways to reach out and help other patients. Support online is definitely a huge way to reach out to others since majority of folks search for help and info online now, but physical support is important also. This can be done by a face to face group meeting or one on one counsel, in person or on the phone. I have a couple of idea’s for you. I understand right now you don’t have a computer and have to handle everything on the phone. Lot’s of folks have to do this also.

On our website, we have need for outreach and in-reach counselors to interact with other patients and their families who visit the website, and especially on Friday’s when we meet for our online support group, Hep C Warriors Friday Forum Support Group.” This is very easy to do, everyone comments at different times of the day and evening and replies to each other. We are always checking in to see comments and interacting, answering questions and help with whatever need there is. If you’re interested in doing this, let me know.

If you’re wanting to start a group in your area, I would suggest contacting your Hepatologist and talking to their nurse manager about starting a group. The American Liver Foundation has tips on how to start a physical group. The main thing is to have literature with credible medical information about Hep C for others to have at each meeting. If you care to find out more about this you can write me at; Connie@lifebeyondhepatitisc.com
      Advertising is key to promote the group as well as a location to have the physical meeting.

For a one on one, this can be done by scheduling a meeting or a phone conference time. I can recommend some guidelines for you on this as well if you email me (see above email address). Also, if you care to be a phone counselor you can contact Help-4-Help. They offer one on one phone counsel.
      Again, I have some guideline suggestions which I can share more if you email me.

It’s wonderful that you have a heart to help others.
      Let me know how we can help.

5. Richard s. November 13, 2017 at 11:29 am #

Good morning Hernando, Suzanne, Connie, and Roberta. Excellent job as always Suzanne. Well I am taking one day at a time. I am still not 100 percent but I am working on it. I dont sleep well and am always tired with little energy. God bless you all. The Lord Jesus Christ is always working on are behalf. Richard.

• Connie M November 15, 2017 at 10:01 am #

I’m keeping you close in prayer for strength and healing. I know you have great faith and perseverance. Keep fighting the good fight my friend. We love and care about you!

Special Blessings my friend,

6. Jose November 13, 2017 at 12:04 pm #

God Bless Everyone!!

Good to hear from everyone. Suzanne, enjoyed your great story. Richard you’ll be in my prayers for you to get to 100 percent. I don’t sleep well too, so I guess that’s causing me to feel tired and exhausted. But I’m grateful that I’m blessed to live another day. Thank you Lord!

Have a peaceful and blessed day everyone.

• Connie M November 15, 2017 at 10:03 am #

Hi Jose,
      You are such a blessings and inspiration to us my friend. I’m keeping you close in my prayers. May you feel the Lord’s comfort and strength in great ways today. We love and care about you!