~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moving through the fear of “What If” to “No Matter What”

By Hep C Warrior Hernando

We have all experienced fear in our lives throughout our hepatitis C journey.  Fear is a normal response to any situation which threatens our wellbeing. Defined as an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain or a threat.

My first reaction to the news that I was infected with the virus from my doctor whom I was visiting for an unrelated issue was shock and fear. I went from faith to fear and worry in a micro second. I was numb. Then I remembered to pray a short Lord help me prayer. “The Lord is my light and my salvation—of whom [or what] shall I be afraid” Psalm 27:1. Acceptance followed and I moved toward a solution that would take years, a lot of up and downs and a trying of my faith. “I am still confidant of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living” Psalm 27:13

I seem to go through this same process with every fear I face. The time between fear and solution has become less and sometimes I even go right to my faith and solution when I remember what Psalm 34:4 says, “I sought the Lord and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.”

As Rebecca Barlow Jordan reminds me at the end of her prayer for healing, it is in my trials and tribulations that my faith in Jesus Christ our savior and our salvation is strengthened. She prays “use this trial to strengthen me from a “what if faith’ to a “no matter what faith” and no matter what, I choose to honor you and give you glory. In Jesus name, Amen.

Can you relate to dealing with the fear of “what if”?

Facing the “What If’s” with Hepatitis C

Looking Beyond Hep C; What Do You See?

Facing Fear with Hepatitis C

1. Mike H November 10, 2017 at 7:59 am #

Howdy Hep C Warriors!
    Greetings from the great frizen North. Nice winter day here in the Canadian prairies; I’m blessed to be in a nice warm house while the coyotes serenade me from the snowdrifts outside.
    Thanks for sharing this morning Hernando. That’s what all this is about; isn’t it- finding a ‘new normal’ of facing life with Christ at our side. Fearful situations will come and go, but the Lord will always be with us as we face those situations.
    I want to wish you all a blessed day!
    Mike H

• Connie M November 10, 2017 at 10:24 am #

Hi Mike,
      Thanks for sharing this morning. I know it’s beautiful up there and I can just imagine y’all by a cozy fire enjoying the beauty of the day. Texas weather is so diverse, we never know what we’re going to get (kinda sounds like Forest Gump weather!). But no matter, we love Texas regardless.

Now that you’re this far on the other side of Hep C, how are you feeling? What’s your energy like? Those who are still dealing with Hep C always like to know there is hope to get to feeling better and get beyond this.

I hope you and your sweet wife are doing well.
      Keep us posted on how things are going.

2. Brenda November 10, 2017 at 9:56 am #

Hi Connie, I just wanted you to know I had my 3 month blood test and I am clear of the virus! Praise God! If anyone out there wants to know about the clinical study I was in, I will be more than happy to share the info as they are still accepting patients. It is in OH. They got me treated when no one else would help me.

• Connie M November 10, 2017 at 10:34 am #

Hi Brenda,
      Thank you sooooo much for sharing your awesome news!!! Congratulations my friend!!! I am doing the happy dance for you and throwing a little virtual confetti your way. It’s music to a Hep C Warrior’s ears to hear, Non-Detected!!! I know y’all are beyond relieved.

Thank you again for sharing your outstanding story and offering to help others with information on clinical trials. This is a great help. So many deal with discouragement and don’t know what to do next if they’d had a bad experience with their doctor and/or been denied treatment by their insurance company. We are seeing this often, yet counsel patients and their doctor to keep submitting for treatment and never give up.

We are seeing the cost for treatment starting to go down due to competition in the market with more treatments being offered, which is a very good thing. This will begin to open up more and more treatment for patients. Patients need to remain persistent with good health practices and fighting for treatment. Clinical trials have opened new doors for patients to get treated which we are so thankful. Hep C Hero’s on many levels!!!

How are you feeling in your post treatment recovery?

We love to hear from you. Thanks for sharing.

• Mark November 10, 2017 at 12:39 pm #

Hello, I’m Mark, from Virginia.
      This year I completed my hep C treatment that I was so fortunate and blessed to get.
      My 3-month post-treatment blood work came back,
      And showed the virus was back also, at over 1 million copies / unit…. before treatment, it was over 12 million.
      I have a doctor appointment scheduled for December 12th to try to figure out where to go from here, but I’m unsure of anything at this point, and just taking it day, by day.
      Hopefully one of these days I will be able to share some good news, God bless you all..

• Richard s. November 10, 2017 at 4:47 pm #

Mark dont give up. There are many good medicines out there. Find a good hepatologist and get treated again. I was on the old treatment for over two years and it didnt work. It took solvaldi/olysio/ribavirin. Have faith, the Lord is watching over you and you are in my prayers. In Christ, Richard.

• Connie M November 13, 2017 at 9:56 am #

Hi Mark,
        I’m so sorry you’re going this my friend. I relate. I personally had 2 prior treatments fail and had to wait 12 years before the next treatment was available which I did (my 3rd treatment) but that was the one God chose to bring me the cure. I learned a lot during that period. Keep fighting the good fight my friend. You are on the right track with testing and your next doctor’s appointment. God will make a way and is there to help you every step of the way. I understand it’s frustrating and disappointing. We are here for you and want to walk with you through this journey. You are going to have such a tremendous story and outcome through all of this.

Keep us posted. Let me know if you have any questions so you can be ready for your doctor’s appointment next month. We’re here for you my friend.

Praying for you and with you in the fight,

3. Connie M November 10, 2017 at 10:49 am #

Howdy Hep C Warriors,
    I hope everyone is doing well today. I’m holding everyone of you close in my heart and prayers each day. I know many are dealing with a lot of challenges right now.

I attended a conference last night for the American Liver Foundation division of Dallas. It was great. I heard from 3 different top Hepatologists and a Transplant specialist, along with meeting a great group from the American Liver Foundation and many from leading pharma companies. It was great to hear informative topics as well ask questions and get to know them better. One of the Hepatologist’s, Dr. Modi M.D. from Ft. Worth, volunteers part time at a Free Clinic for patient’s who cannot afford insurance. Every one promotes to be tested and treated and the need for patients to be proactive with good health practices that help make huge difference in liver health. We are blessed by organizations that offer these conferences for professionals, patients and family to interact and provide help and resources.

I encourage everyone in the U.S. to locate your nearest American Liver Foundation division and see what is available in your area.

We love hearing from everyone. Give us a shout out. We’re here for YOU!
    Blessings my friends,

4. Richard s. November 10, 2017 at 12:36 pm #

Good morning warriors, what a uplifting article Hernando. I especially liked the scripture. I hope all are doing good. One day at a time. Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ outweighs everything else. God Bless, Richard.

• Connie M November 13, 2017 at 10:20 am #

Hope you’re feeling better. You’ve been on my mind and in my prayers each day.
      Let us know how you’re doing. We care about you!

5. Suzanne November 10, 2017 at 3:10 pm #

Hello Everyone,
    Just wanted to jump in and say great paper Hernando! I have been in Texas for the last week and had the privilege of celebrating my moms 96th birthday with her.

Congratulations Brenda, now is the time to let go of all you have been through and put it to rest. I am so happy you shared this with us; such good news!!!

Mark, I am sorry to hear of your news. This is so rare and please keep in touch with us and keep us posted because we care.

• Connie M November 13, 2017 at 10:01 am #

I’m so happy you had a great time with your Mom celebrating her awesome 96th birthday. What how great! I know she must have enjoyed every minute with you. You are a very sweet and loving daughter.
      Hope you have received some rest and refreshed energy with your sweetie.

Keep us posted on how you’re doing and how your Mom is doing as well.

6. Michael M. November 11, 2017 at 12:42 am #

Good morning fellow Hep C Warriors. I’m a bit late, but I would like to share my first thoughts and reactions to three drug called Harvoni made by Gilead drug company here in the US. I was not really feeling like I won the lottery or was as excited as the doctors thought that I would be. I have them no reactions to their good news but on the inside I was relieved after traveling coast-to-coast to gain access to the drug. Firstly, I must say that John Hopkins Hospital has the best service for their patients. They are friendly and charismatic to the people. I love them. Now onto the main concern which is the response that I have for those who are looking into takingthe drug.

Harvoni has so far caused me no bad side effects. I rarely even think about the drug after 12pm which is when I takethe pill. I’m more rested at night as I’ve been basically since I’ve been taking the drug, falling Asleep almost immediately after getting comfortable in bed. There is more.

Knowing that I had hep-c, knowing that I’ve had no clue when and if I would die, if i would ever have a family or ever comfortably fall in love without this baggage or cloud over my head, I would moan in my sleep, be depressed, cryat night sometimes and pray constantly to God asking him “why am I with this disease?” I never was and never will be gay, I never used drugs, and I did not have any bad habits sexually. I came in realizing that only my medical history was to blame since as a child, I’ve had many blood transfusions and surgeries before 1992. I feel much better physically and mentally since I’ve began my treatment. It is now week 3. For the first time, I’ve experience loose bowels but my doctor said because of this it could be positive that my issue was food or weather related since this year the weather has been oddly warm until now. I’m not tired or experiencedany headaches or any of the other issues that have been reported. I thank God and Hopkins for the quick work which they have performed on my behalf. I waited for a long time to get my medicine. I traveled to many different states and was given no hope. I can reccomend two places where the people have been outstanding and full of loving and caring persona. One place where anyone can basically land on and get help is called Glide and they are located in San Francisco. They are California’s haven of love. Oprah Winfrey has supported them surprisingly and there is the place where even if you have no home,they will house you until your treatment is complete. Then, you have Hopkins in Baltimore. Although they do not off housing, they are on top of your doses and treatments if you are not and they very well care about your well-being. I’m so excited to know when my count is under a million and then on to my cure. The release that comes is thatI can finally give myself to a woman and not avoid. I told my doctor I chose to be a loner and I pissed alot of girls off because I rejected them while not telling them my issue but my doctor said that I never had to do this but I didn’t know that much about this disease to know I could still have A partner. Such is life but the best part is knowing now versus being blind to the facts. I’ve felt great while talking Harvoni and week 3 has begun. I’m nearly 1/4 of the way done. Hope that my story helps some people to move forward and please be blessed.

• Connie M November 13, 2017 at 10:17 am #

Hi Michael,
      I’m so sorry you’ve had to go through all of this. But we are so glad you’re here with us. I love your story because it helps others realize there is hope and the importance to be informed about the facts of how many ways Hep C is transmitted but above all, to keep fighting and seeking treatment. Thank you for sharing about how your treatment with Harvoni is going and also about John Hopkins and the center in SF. There are so many wonderful credible medical centers and patient assist groups out there to help. Being proactive with our health and well being is so important to conquering Hep C.

Keep seeking God’s way and timing my friend and one day He will lead you to the right woman who will love you unconditionally and be a great blessing to you as you bond together. I found personally once I put God first and foremost then everything else came together in His perfect timing. I met Mr. Fix-It (my husband) many years ago and what attracted me the most about him was that He loved and followed God and put Him first. He and I were friends which developed into a dating relationship and marriage. He and I have had our share of up’s and downs like most folks but he still is the love of my life and my best friend. His love and devotion to me through my entire Hep C journey has been tremendous and unconditional. That special gal is out there for you too.

I am so happy that you’re sharing with us and looking forward to hearing how things are going.
      We’re here for you my friend. Keep sharing.
      We’re praying and cheering for you every step of the way.