Hepatitis C: Facing the Giants Wholeheartedly

Hep C is a journey with many up and down moments. No matter if you are living with challenges of Hep C or dealing with Hep C treatment, Hep C is a giant to deal with but you are not alone.

There can be times when you feel overwhelmed with doubt, tired and worn out, wanting to quit, but from your gut you know those emotions are only on the surface and you can’t give up, you have to keep going.

Only God knows what He has prepared us to do, did you get that, “what He has prepared us to do, not what we think we can do.”

Deuteronomy 30:11, “Now what I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach.”

I cannot rely on my ability.  I need His strength and endurance to go further than I could ever do on my own.

The Giant before us can be many different obstacles that seem impossible to overcome.  But God will give you what you need when you need it.  Turn to Him and listen to His voice of truth.  There is no room for doubt, no room for defeat, because With God ALL Things Are Possible.

Hepatitis C Treatment Journey: Facing Your Giants Wholeheartedly

Hepatitis C is a Giant.  But YOU ARE A GIANT KILLER.  Let us Face this Giant Wholeheartedly just as David fought Goliath we fight Hepatitis C.  A nugget from Max Lucado’s book, Facing Your Giants;  “Focus on giants-you stumble.  Focus on God-your giants tumble.”

*If you are unable to view video: Click here to see post.

Deuteronomy 31:6, “Be strong and courageous.  Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”

Deuteronomy 31:8, “The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.  Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”

A great inspiration and encouragement from the movie, “Facing the Giants” parallels our treatment journey as we face the Hepatitis C Giant.  May we stand strong in faith, strength and perseverance through Jesus Christ.

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”Philippians 4:13

*If you are unable to view video: Click here to see post.

Nothing AHEAD of you is bigger or stronger than the POWER of God BEHIND you.

What giants are in front of you ?

Share your comments below.

To view this post or other resources, see our homepage at: Life Beyond Hep C.com

Related posts:

Beginning Treatment for Hepatitis C: Armor Up

Hep C Courage

Looking Beyond Hep C Treatment; What Do You See?

49 Responses to Hepatitis C: Facing the Giants Wholeheartedly

1. kim koehler August 8, 2012 at 12:42 pm #

” Picking up my stones,” and thanking God today, for today. Thank you Connie. You are a gift from God. With God’s help along w/ your passion and encouragement, I’ve been able to persist.

• Connie M August 8, 2012 at 2:40 pm #

Kim, so glad you are picking up your stones. Remember, 1 Thessalonians 5:24, “The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it.”
      You are in my thoughts and prayers daily. Let me know how things are going. You are a Hep C Giant Killer!
      Blessings~

2. Margaret Nicholas January 2, 2013 at 2:55 am #

Dear Connie, another good post. This one gave me the push I needed this morning! I am thinking about this months Dr appointment, as I am sure you are. Warrior Margee

• Connie M January 4, 2013 at 7:15 pm #

Margee, Thank you. I appreciate so much your kind words. I am praying for you daily. I pray you will be filled with God’s wisdom, strength and courage, as you step out in faith this year. You are a Mighty Hep C Warrior! Blessings friend~

3. Elena January 20, 2013 at 1:24 am #

Connie,

Thank You Very Much for everything: for sharing, for making this website… but most of all Thank You for your offer to pray for me! I’m on my week 18 of triple thearapy….feel isolated, on untidepressants, no energy, brain fog…I wish i found u sooner…i will visit it often….it’s closer and most needed then a friend or a nurce:)THANK U CONNIE! PLEASE KEEP ME IN YOUR PRAYERS! GOD BLESS U!

• Connie M January 20, 2013 at 12:38 pm #

Elena,
      Thank you for commenting and your very kind words. I am so glad to meet you. I certainly do relate to how your feeling. I felt the same way while on treatment. But take heart, this is just a temporary time compared to the rest of your life and You Will Come Through This! You are so close my friend.

Which protease inhibitor are you using in the triple? Keep me updated on how your doing and how I can be praying in detail for you.
      I will certainly be praying for you daily. Be at rest, you are not in this alone, you have a boat load of other Hep C Warriors with you, and most importantly, Jesus Christ is in the boat with us! You are going to make it!!!!

Please cruise around on the website and see the many different items there for encouragement and support. You are a mighty Hep C Warrior!

Blessings~

4. Bobbie Wheeler Escobedo April 15, 2013 at 2:33 pm #

These two video’s are very powerful! I really like what Max Lucado said about running toward your giant not turning to run from it because it is so true, we have to have a positive outlook from the start or we have already lost the battle before we even get started!

• Connie M April 15, 2013 at 4:22 pm #

Bobbie,
      Yes I agree these are powerful! If you haven’t read Max Lucado’s book, Facing your Giants, I highly recommend it. God used it in an mighty way to prepare me for treatment. Valuable nuggets are all through that book.

Also the movie, Facing the Giants has a powerful message that applies to anyone, but especially for warriors!

Thanks for commenting and letting me know your thoughts!

God Bless~

5. Paul April 22, 2013 at 8:35 am #

Great posting. This is week 24 of a 36 week treatment program for me. A few weeks ago I went through a tired, brain fog slump. I’ve been hoping that the brain fog would not last because I need to attend programming training for work this week and must be able to remember and concentrate. God has restored my energy and mental clarity this last week so I feel very good going into the training today. I know that there may still be more down days ahead but would like to thank god for making me feel great now and would like to thank everyone for their prayers. Have a great day.

• Connie M April 22, 2013 at 11:01 am #

Paul,
      Great news!!! Praise God for these answered prayers. Congratulations friend, you are in the last stretch of the treatment. Do you see the flag waving at the top of the treatment summit? You are almost there!!!

Praying for you and in details of much needed concentration and energy this week.

Blessings~

6. Debbie April 22, 2013 at 9:12 pm #

Connie, Thank you so much for the post. It was a blessing for me to read today. I am waiting for the new drug for the hep c to be approved…..I will remember this posting when the time comes to start treatment again! Run towards it stones ready! Dressed with His armor! So blessed to know you and all those who are in the battle!
    In His Hands are we,
    Fellow warrior, deb

• Paul April 22, 2013 at 9:38 pm #

Hi Debbie. Glad to hear you are going to give treatment another go when the new drug is approved. It was exciting to hear how Mark had almost no side effects with it and the cure rate appears to be even better than Incivek. My doctor said it may be approved as early as this summer in Europe and soon afterwards here. Hope it works well for you.

• debbie April 24, 2013 at 9:14 am #

Paul, thanks for your comment. I too am excited to hear about Marks journey w/the new treatment. I incivek was really hard on me. (terrible hot rash)
        I am hoping for the new drug to be approved! I am so ready, with Cirrohsis I do not want to delay.
        deb

• Connie M April 23, 2013 at 10:58 am #

Debbie,
      You are so very welcome. You are such a brave Hep C Warrior! God is preparing good things for you in many areas of your life. You are a great blessing to me and all other Hep C Warrior’s out there. You are an inspiration! I continue to pray for you daily.

May you feel His strength this week!
      Blessings friend~

• debbie April 24, 2013 at 9:15 am #

Connie, Thanks for your prayers! I feel them! I am feeling His strength!
        Bless you,
        deb

7. Lisa muphy June 11, 2013 at 3:52 pm #

I have a small shallow bowl to my right containing my 5 rocks. Thank you for that MAX LUCADO and CONNIE. LISA MURPHY

• Connie M June 11, 2013 at 7:04 pm #

Lisa,
      I did the same thing and kept my five stones out where I could see them as a daily reminder. If you have not read Max Lucado’s book, Facing Your Giants, read it. It is packed full of rich nuggets that will help you every step of the way with your treatment journey. God used it in a mighty way to prepare and help me. Also, his book, Fearless is fantastic. I highly recommend every Hep C Warrior to read them. You will be blessed.

Blessings~

8. Barbara whited July 25, 2013 at 6:50 am #

I havent read that book but i may go get it today and read it.
    Dont feel good today anyway so looks like a snuggle day on
    The couch with a blanket and a good book!! Thank u connie and
    Everybody else for the encouraging words. I have been reading posts
    All day and I’ve been scared to do the triple therapy because of
    The side effects, but I think I’m ready for the 13th to get here so I can
    Beat this battle and win my journey. Thanks again =)

• Connie M July 25, 2013 at 12:00 pm #

Barbara,
      Thank you for sharing today. Yes, this is an excellent book. It helped in great ways to prepare me for treatment. I highly recommend it.
      So your treatment date is set for August 13th?
      Which treatment meds are you going to use?

Let us know so we can be praying.
      We stand together with you.

Keep us posted OK?
      Blessings~

9. Barbara August 10, 2013 at 1:31 am #

Yea it’s supposed to be . But it’s not going to
    Be because she now says she dont know If
    She is going To do the treatments now. So idk what I’m
    Gonna do?

• Connie M August 12, 2013 at 2:16 pm #

Barbara,
      I’m not quite understanding your message. Are you saying your doctor is not going to move forward with treatment? Didn’t know if you meant to post this comment on the Hep C Warrior Support page.

10. Kimberly Koehler November 28, 2013 at 9:04 am #

I find myself extra Thankful this Thanksgiving for being almost one year Hep C free!
    I pray all warriors, friends here have a wonderful Thnaksgiving today. No matter what phase of treatment/ recovery you are in remember that this too shall pass.
    And, make the most out of this journey we’ve taken together. Happy happy Day to all!

• Connie M November 28, 2013 at 10:02 pm #

Hi Kimberly,
      So Thankful for you and your sweet friendship. Congratulations on your upcoming Major Mile Marker of 1 year post Hep C treatment & virus free!

You are a courageous Hep C Warrior and inspiration!

Happy Thanksgiving!
      Special Blessings,

11. carol February 27, 2014 at 11:00 pm #

I feel so alone right now, found out yesterday that have hep c, now have to see a specialist. I am so scared right now, I know that god has forgiven me and I realized that I still had consequences I would have to face but never did I think this would happen. I am so scared cause o ha e alwys been on control and now o do t know whY to expect. I need your prayers please

• Connie M March 3, 2014 at 7:32 pm #

Carol,
      I appreciate your bravery and sharing so much. Hearing the diagnosis of Hep C is overwhelming and a great deal to take in. My I say though of all the times we are living in, there is more available to CURE Hep C than ever before. When I was diagnosed in 1995, mine was chronic active and there was damage already done. There was only 1 treatment available back then and it gave a very low percentage of the treatment knocking the virus into remission and there was no cure back then. It was very scary. I didn’t know how I was going to make it and survive, but God never let go and has always seen me through. Carol, He is there for you also, every step of the way.

This is a time to rest in God’s timing and His provision for you ahead. Through all it all, God brings something good out of our trouble and even the mistakes. Remember He is our Redeemer and He makes beauty out of the ashes. He is in the process right now of working for your good and drawing you closer to Him. That’s how you get through this by staying close to Him.

I hung on to these verses:
      “For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.” Isaiah 41:13

No, in ALL these things we are more can conquerors through him who loved us. Romans 8:37

And this verse that we refer to often here and a very great truth,
      “I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.” Philippians 4:13

We are here for you too Carol. You are NOT alone.
      Keep connected and share what is going. Feel free to comment on the Hep C Warriors Friday Forum Support Group each week also. It’s easy and we all talk back and forth all through the week. Its a great group of caring folks who are all dealing with Hep C and treatment. Support is a vital key to helping you. And this group will also be praying for you.

Keep sharing. We’re here for you.
      You are in my prayers daily.

12. Mike H. March 2, 2014 at 1:40 pm #

Hi Carol,
    You are at the right place. God is working through Connie and all the Hep C Warriors here. I am so grateful to The Lord for bringing me here. The Friday Support Group is great. Check out some of Connie’s video blogs on UTube. Connie is such a testament to God’s power in our lives. I just checked out JD Worley’s Jan 13 video blog on UTube-it really helped me. He has a great sense of humour as well!
    I am newly diagnosed as well. I was really scared all last week as well- so scared that I was convinced that my sick symptoms meant that my liver had already started to break down. It was in fact partly the shock of the diagnosis but also the fact that I had the flu! Phew! That’s what makes this site so incredible. I have a new lease on my walk with The Lord because of my diagnosis. That’s looking for that opening that Max Lucado talks about. Like David I will be focused on God and will be picking up my five stones.
    Carol, I will be praying for you and God will be here for all of us. See at the Friday Support Group!

• Connie M March 3, 2014 at 7:35 pm #

Hi Mike,
      Thank you for sharing. Awesome Encouragement!! You are a great blessing!

Many Blessings fellow warrior,

13. Charlie November 12, 2014 at 3:45 pm #

Hi guys, I am wondering if anyone else has trouble losing weight? I have not started my treatment yet, and am wondering if the weight comes off easier once treatment begins or is over? Thank you in advance.

• Connie M November 12, 2014 at 5:52 pm #

Hi Charlie,
      That is a really good question. Weight loss depends on many factors, a person’s diet, exercise (and daily routine), individual metabolism, and any other physical conditions that would play a role in weight, example thyroid issues, etc…

For some Hep C patients treatment can bring change (decrease) or loss of appetite and weight loss can occur, but treatment often brings fatigue and physical routines change, which can occur with a slight weight gain. And you factor in other physical conditions that might already be present prior to treatment, weight can vary in either direction.

For myself and other patients using the treatment drugs Incivek, I had a weight gain due to the dietary fat requirement I had to take with Incivek. At the same time my thyroid condition (which I had prior to treatment) acted up and with the reduced physical activity, my weight gain was alittle harder to lose. It’s temporary, and the weight comes off.

Depending on if you need to lose weight and how much, the main thing to focus on is eating healthy and getting moderate exercise, and at least 8 hours of sleep each night, plus drinking at least 64 ounces of pure water daily.

Generally treatment really doesn’t affect weight too much. But eating healthy is good for your liver and immune system to be boosted so it can power up to work better.

Hope that answers your question.

14. Emily December 9, 2014 at 11:17 am #

Hi Connie,
    I wanted to let you know that you have been a blessing to me. I am on my 9th week of Hep C Teatment (Sovaldi/Olysio, which is for 12 weeks. My only problem has been keeping my Blood Pressure under control. The last two weeks I am unable to sleep. I guess I am having insomnia. Feeling very tired and anxious because of lack of sleep. I know God will help me finish this treatment. Tomorrow I will go for more lab work. So far the Hep C is not detectable. I appreciate if you would pray for me. God has really been good to me during this treatment. I was diagnosed in 1997. Never had any treatment until now.

Thanks for being an encouragement to me.

• Connie M December 9, 2014 at 12:19 pm #

Hi Emily,
      Thank you for your very kind words and sharing your treatment progress.
      Congrats on being at your 9th week Mile Marker! The peak of the summit is in sight my friend. You are almost finished. Have you talked with your doctor about the insomnia and blood pressure problem? If not, please do.

Ask if you can take a sleep aid like Tyelnol PM or something else to help you sleep. That has helped me. I will certainly be praying for you to get some good sleep and rest as well as continued Non-Detected. You are a Mighty Hep C Warrior and giant killer. Soon this battle will be completed.

Keep me posted on how you’re doing.
      Praying & Cheering for you every step of the way.

15. Emily December 13, 2014 at 9:43 pm #

Hi Connie.
    I did get my labs and they found my sodium low. I also went to my doctor and she did change my pressure pills, and its under control now. Will see the doctor Monday regarding my sodium. Thanks for your prayers. Thanks to all the Hep C Warriors, you are a blessing to me.

God bless you,
    Emily

16. Lisa December 15, 2014 at 6:40 pm #

It has been a very long time since I have been on this board. After failing treatment with triple therapy I have to admit that my spirits were a bit down but I picked myself up and kept going anyway. I am currently in treatment with Harvoni and go back to see my infectious disease doc on Thursday. I am currently in week 5 of treatment. My viral load at the beginning of treatment was 3.5 million, as of today the number is showing as <35… what a wonderful gift from God to finally feel like I can live free from this very ugly virus. I hope that we all one day can be virus free and live the long and prosperous lives that God wants us to have.

Peace and blessings all!

• Connie M December 18, 2014 at 6:13 pm #

Hi Lisa,
      I am thrilled to hear you are doing treatment with Harvoni. Congratulations on your wonderful results! Virtual High Five to you my friend!!!
      Many are reporting very good results.

Keep us posted on your progress.
      Remember, “I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.” Philippians 4:13

You are in my prayers daily.
      Blessings fellow warrior,

17. Kathleen December 15, 2014 at 7:49 pm #

Lisa, I am on Harvoni too. On my 7 th week. Make sure u have changed your toothbrush and razor. I didn’t even think about that I could be re-infecting myself with my own toothbrush and razor. I go see my doctor tomorrow. God bless you.

• Connie M December 18, 2014 at 6:15 pm #

Hi Kathleen,
      Thanks for sharing! This is a very good point about changing out toothbrushes and razors.
      Hope you are doing well. Congratulations on being at your 7th week Mile Marker!!! Woo Hoo!!! Are you almost finished!

Keep us posted on how you’re doing.
      You are in my prayers each day.

18. Mike H February 1, 2016 at 8:26 am #

Good morning, Warriors!
    Connie, thanks for posting this. It was really a blast from the past to read comments from when I was first diagnosed. You have begun and steadfastly supported an incredible ministry here. God must smile every time he thinks of you!
    Mike H

• Connie M February 1, 2016 at 11:52 am #

Hi Mike,
      Thanks for sharing this morning. I’m glad you enjoyed this post and reading back on all the wonderful past comments. Some posts stand out to be so relevant to what we’re facing currently, this one especially does.

I appreciate your very kind words. We give all the glory. It is truly His work, not mine. I’m just a servant warrior who is humbled to be His pen. Your encouragement spurs me on. Thank you!

Hope you’re feeling well.
      God Bless you my friend,

19. Richard S. February 1, 2016 at 10:07 am #

Good morning Mike and all the warriors. An excellent post as always. What would Jesus do? Many times I look to myself when I should be looking to the Lord. He is the light. All glory to Jesus Christ. God Bless, Richard.

• Connie M February 1, 2016 at 11:54 am #

Thank you for commenting this morning. I am so glad you enjoyed the post. I love you pointed out, What would Jesus Do? That is such a wonderful question to ask ourselves in every situation we face.

Hope you’re feeling well and have a great week.
      God Bless you my friend,

20. Mary A. February 1, 2016 at 12:11 pm #

Good morning brave Warriors,
    Some very inspiring posts today, and I welcome some new friends to LBHC: Elena, Bobbie, Barbara, Carol, Emily, Kathleen. We hope you find solace here. We all have been through or still going through Hep C treatment. I just read today the new treatment for Genotypes 1 and 4. It is amazing the progress that is being made to eradicate the HCV. I just love the clip from the movie “Facing the Giants,” the death crawl scene. It gives me goosebumps. Wanting to give up can be so tempting when the struggle feels overwhelming. Just like the football player who didn’t think he could make it on his own……he couldn’t. He needed that constant reassurance and encouragement of his loving coach. That was (and is) me. I had given up in certain instances throughout my life, but after giving my life to Christ, I wasn’t about to give up on conquering the Hep C giant. Knowing the Lord is here for and with me makes all the difference. Today I am at 17 weeks post treatment (Sovaldi/Ribavirin) and have been non-detected since week 4 of treatment. That’s all God’s work. I am so blessed and grateful for God directing me to this website and Connie. What a remarkable servant of Christ she is in this ministry. And to all you other Warriors, keep up the good fight, you are not alone. We are praying for you and the Lord is holding you close.
    In His debt,
    Mary

• Connie M February 1, 2016 at 12:33 pm #

Hi Mary,
      Thank you for sharing today. I am so glad you liked the post and found it helpful. I found the example of the death crawl in this movie so relevant to our carrying Hep C on our backs for so long. As patient’s we get tired and weary in the fight, but giving up is NOT an option for us. We have to keep going, fighting the good fight.

I appreciate your kind words and tremendous encouragement you’ve shared with everyone about your own fight with Hep C. We all relate.

You are a mighty Hep C Warrior! I’m thrilled for your awesome victory in conquering the Hep C giant and now being Hep C Free! High Five to ya my friend.

Praying for you to have extra refreshment and renewal this week.

• Richard S. February 2, 2016 at 3:22 pm #

Mary and Connie you both touched my heart today. I am having many problems with my afib, but the Lord Jesus Christ is in control. God Bless, Richard .

• Connie M February 2, 2016 at 3:36 pm #

So sorry to hear you’re having these problems my friend. Saying a special prayer for you right now and will continue to lift you up.
        Keep us posted on how you’re doing.

Lord, may your hand be upon Richard right now. Grant him peace, comfort, and relief from the discomfort he’s in and touch him with your healing hand. Father, may your spirit rest on Richard and hide him in the shelter of your wings till this trouble passes. May you give his doctor’s wisdom, insight and skill in what Richard needs. May help come swiftly. We love him Lord, fill your servant warrior Richard with your strength today. May this be according to your will and plans for him. In Jesus name I ask and pray, Amen.

We love you my friend.
        Prayerfully,

• Richard S. February 2, 2016 at 4:59 pm #

Connie, a beautiful prayer. Thank you my friend, Richard

21. Richard s. October 9, 2017 at 11:48 am #

Connie,just re-read all the posts and article. What a great blessing. It is so wonderful to read how almost everyone gives the glory to our Lord Jesus Christ. He is the only one who is worthy. God bless you for spreading the gospel. The Lord never abandons His people. To all my Christian brothers and sisters have a wonderful day. His bondservant, Richard.

• Connie M October 9, 2017 at 12:31 pm #

Thank you for sharing my friend. So often we need to be reminded that God is still at work and His light shines even in our darkness, including the darkness of Hep C.

Today is a good day because God is in it!

22. Jose October 9, 2017 at 2:24 pm #

God Bless Everyone!!

Thanks for all you do, Connie. Great article and posts by all Hep C Warriors. In the past, I have thought about quit trying to get the cure, but after reading your articles and everyone’s posts I am inspired to keep trying. Thank you Lord.

I changed PCP last year and he was the first Dr. to test for HCV. So, I thought he would help to get me treated since he ordered the test, but he says ins. won’t approved medications. He got me an appointment with a GI Dr, but I got the same response from him. Now, waiting for appointment in couple of weeks with second GI for a second opinion.

I also self referred and self paid for a FibroScan that I had to go out of town since, it’s not available here. Which, by the way I had to reschedule because of Hurricane Harvey. Waiting on results, I got to keep trying. I’ve been feeling great and just feeling blessed to live another day! Thank you Lord. God Bless Everyone!

23. Richard s. October 9, 2017 at 2:47 pm #

Jose, keep trying. It is the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. God Bless, Richard.