~~~~~~~~~~~~

5 Ways to Take Care of Your Liver

#1 Proactive Healthy Lifestyle

Mindfulness on living a healthy lifestyle helps your liver work better.
Make a Healthy Plan then Work the Plan.
Nutrition is one area of disease where a person has a degree of control and can actively help in the recovery of liver damage and minimizing further damage.
What you put in your body matters!

An unhealthy diet can lead to liver disease and compromise the function of your liver. The American Liver Foundation states,“eating high fatty foods will put you at risk of being overweight and having non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and at risk for other disease.” It adds stress to your liver and compromises your immune system. Think in terms of a highly efficient engine and filter. You’re Liver and Immune system is your body’s engine and filter. You need to eat the right fuel in order to operate effectively. Help your body, help your Liver.

General Nutrition for Healthy Living & Liver Disease

*Eat a diet low in saturated and no trans fat.
*Avoid fried foods.
*Eat lean (low fat) protein choices such as fish, white meat chicken and white meat turkey without the skin. Limit red meat due to these are generally higher in fat and harder for the body to break down.
*Eat lots of fresh vegetables and fruits (choose organic if possible).
*Eat complex carbohydrates made with whole grains and high fiber.
*Drink 8 to 12 eight ounces of water daily (filter water if possible).
*Stay away from processed foods as much as possible. Fresh or frozen is best!
*Reduce sugar.
*Choose low fat or non-fat dairy products
Medical professionals recommend following a generalized healthy diet as stated above. The closer you are to your healthy weight the less stress this puts on your liver. Talk to your doctor or a registered dietitian for dietary guidelines and amounts that are right for you.

#2 Avoid Alcohol

American Liver Foundation states that alcohol can damage or destroy liver cells. Liver damage can lead to the build up of fat in your liver (fatty liver), inflammation or swelling of your liver (alcoholic hepatitis), and/or scarring of your liver (cirrhosis). For people with liver disease, even a small amount of alcohol can make the disease worse. A good analogy a doctor told me was to think of hepatitis as a smoldering fire. Alcohol is like gasoline. Don’t throw gasoline on the fire. It’s not worth it.

#3 Exercise

Exercise plays important role in liver health and boost’s the immune system. Regular exercise will increase energy levels, decrease stress on the liver, and in many cases, even delay the onset of certain complications associated with liver disease according to Dr. Melissa Palmer MD.
Your energy levels can be boosted by even 10 minute walks or other exercise. Start with small blocks of time and continue to add extra minutes when you can.
Small changes make big differences!

#4 Manage your Medications

Every medication, vitamin, supplement and everything you take in passes through the liver. Your liver is responsible for processing all of these substances. It is important to understand exactly how you should be taking your medications in order to avoid putting undue stress on your liver, according to the American Liver Foundation.
Be discerning when taking vitamins, minerals and supplements. A good rule of thumb to remember, everything you take has an effect on your liver and immune system.

Vitamins, minerals and supplements if taken correctly can play a part in good health, but when taken incorrectly can harm your liver. Be especially careful with herbal treatments and alternative liver medicines. Certain herbs can be dangerous and toxic to your liver. Just because something says it’s natural doesn’t mean it’s safe. Talk to your doctor before taking anything.

#5 Avoid Environmental Pollutants/Toxins

Toxins can injure your liver cells. Avoid direct contact with chemicals from cleaning products, insecticides, fumes from paint thinners and aerosol sprays.
Do not smoke.

Taking care of your liver is important to your whole health!

12 Healthy Diet Tips for Hepatitis C and Liver Disease

Hepatitis C and Exercise

Alcohol and Hepatitis C

1. Hernando October 13, 2017 at 6:46 am #

Good morning fellow warriors. It is good to be alive and in the care of a loving God. I will rejoice on this day that the Lord has made. I know that I have been MIA for a while but it is all good. Busy but good. I was saddled with a lung infection for fourteen months and a lot of things went by the wayside. Now that I am better I have been busy catching up on all the chores and projects that I was not able to do. Thanks to Jesus for carrying me through it all. He is ever faithful. Thanks for all your prayers. Connie great read today. I should put those five things on my refrigerator door so that I will be reminded to do them. Also important is conscious contact with God. I have to make time to be alone with the Lord in prayer and meditation. I can easily be distracted and forget that the same things that made me well will keep me well. Peace, love and blessings, Hernando

• Connie M October 16, 2017 at 10:31 am #

Hi Hernando,
      I’m so glad you’re feeling better. We’ve missed you but we certainly understand. You are a strong mighty warrior my friend on many fronts. You are such a blessing to us and always love to hear from you.

Hope you have a fantastic day!
      This is a good day because God is in it!

2. Richard s. October 13, 2017 at 7:38 am #

Good morning hep c warriors and Hernando. I am happy that you are back Hernando and feeling better. Connie, you have put together an wonderful list for good health for all the hep c warriors. I am still having problems with my a fib. I will go see my cardiologist next week about increasing dosages. Praise be to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ who comforts us. God Bless, Richard.

• Hernando October 13, 2017 at 8:10 am #

Blessings brother Richard. Thank you for your powerful witness.

• Connie M October 16, 2017 at 10:35 am #

I hope and pray this dose change will be the one to help regulate the A-fib Keep us posted on how you’re doing.
      We care about you! Keep us posted on how you’re doctor’s appointment goes this week.

Keeping you close in my prayers.

3. Suzanne October 13, 2017 at 8:24 am #

Good Morning Warriors,
    Hi Hernando and Richard I am feeling better this morning than I have felt in quite some time. Jesus has yet picked me up again. Pneumonia certainly takes it’s time working its way out of you. God must be doing some of his mighty healing Hernando and hope you can stay well to. Richard always praying for the Afib and have a friend that has it all the time also. Hang on and am sure the Mayo Clinic will come up with something in the near future.

Connie, this was a good reminder on how important our diet is with any type of liver disease. I am cautions about what I eat and have a bottle of water in my hand at all times.

I will leave you this which I read this morning by Stephanie Raquel ” Following God doesn’t always mean knowing each step but taking the next one before us.”

• Richard s. October 13, 2017 at 5:49 pm #

Thank you Suxanne, I am glad you also are feeling better. You, Hernando , and all the warriors are in my prayers. God Bless, Richard .

• Connie M October 16, 2017 at 10:41 am #

I’m so glad you’re feeling better. Thank you for sharing the quote this morning, it’s so true and important to remember. I was reminded of Proverbs 16:9 NIV that says, “In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.” This has certainly been highlighted for Mr. Fix-It and I this year. The Lord does go before us though and also never leaves our side. So glad!

Have a great day my friend.

Many Blessings,

4. Jose October 13, 2017 at 10:22 am #

God Bless Everyone!!

Connie, once again you did excellent posting, I agree with living a healthier lifestyle to care for your liver. In my case, living this healthier lifestyle not only helps take care of my liver, but also helps my heart, COPD, and RA. The only problem I have is with all the medications I have to take for my medical conditions

Suzzane and Richard hope and pray that you get well soon. God Bless Everyone!

• Suzanne October 13, 2017 at 2:41 pm #

Hi Jose,
      Bless you my brother and always good to hear from you. I, too, have to take a lot of medications but if you call the patient assistance line @ the pharmaceutical company that makes some of your medications they are more than willing to help. Please take time to do this because it can be quite costly and they send coupons or even ship these medications for free. You can talk to your pharmacist about how you do this . I am some very expensive drugs and they are shipped to my front door when I call for a refill. I know that Glaxo, Smith and Kline make a lot of the inhalers and COPD medications that are costly due to no generics available and researched the company that makes Xifaxan one of my liver medications and the price is very expensive but necessary for my liver and Salix has helped me with this.

I keep you in my prayers and God Bless you!

• Richard s. October 13, 2017 at 5:50 pm #

Thanks Jose, God bless, Richard .

• Connie M October 16, 2017 at 10:49 am #

Hi Jose,
      Thank you for sharing. It’s always so good to hear from you. I did not know you had COPD and RA. You are a might warrior on many fronts as well. You are right, taking care of ourselves helps more than just Hep C, but every area of our lives. I hope things are better for you and others are recovering after the hurricane. I’m from Texas also, but I’m primarily in North Texas then part time in Central Texas.

So glad you’re here my friend. We care about you.
      Keep us posted on how things are going.
      Many Blessings,