10 Proactive Steps for your Hep C Battle Plan

Texas Wild Hog: Photo courtesy, Randy Wilson

Texas Wild Hog: Photo courtesy, Randy Wilson

Do you feel like you’re battling something bigger than you? Hepatitis C can feel like that. There is hope for stopping Hep C in its tracks. First and foremost, you have to develop a good Hep C battle plan. The best strategy begins with your mindset. You are in it to win it! Giving up is NOT an option.

Persistence, Diligence, and Intentional Proactive Steps are core to what you’ll need in your arsenal.

10 Proactive Steps for your Hep C battle plan

1. No Alcohol. Stop further damage from occurring. Alcohol for someone with liver disease is like throwing gasoline on a fire. It’s NOT worth it.

1. Healthy Diet. Eliminate processed foods. Limit sugar, and unhealthy fats. Eat whole healthy foods, with lots of fresh vegetables, fruits, whole grains, nuts, seeds, low fat protein. Drinks lots of pure water. See this article for more diet suggestions: 12 Healthy Diet Tips for Hepatitis C and Liver Disease.

1. Exercise. Exercise plays an important role in liver health and boost’s the immune system. Regular exercise will increase energy levels, decease stress, and along with healthy diet, no alcohol, and managing medications can help reduce stress on the liver. Your energy levels can be boosted even by 10 to 15 minutes of low impact exercise like walking. Start with small blocks of time like 10 to 15 minutes and continue to add extra minutes and build your momentum.

Small changes make big differences! Consistent low impact exercise with a healthy diet is proven to lower excess weight along with great health benefits and helps avoid Fatty Liver Disease. Powerful Proactive Steps lead to better health.

1. Manage your Medications. Everything you take in is processed by your liver, no matter if you eat it, drink it, breathe it or skin contact. Managing your medications is smart and proactive to helping your liver. Talk to your physician and pharmacist about what medications have adverse side effects on the liver and how to best manage any medications, vitamins, or supplements you take, prescription or over the counter.

See this article on more information for managing your medications: 8 Ways to Fight Hepatitis C.

1. Avoid Environmental Pollutants/Toxins. Toxins can injure liver cells. Avoid direct contact with chemicals from cleaning products, insecticides, fumes from paint thinners and aerosol sprays. DO NOT Smoke. Avoid second hand smoke also. Powerful Action will help your liver.

1. A Positive Attitude with a Can Do Spirit affects every part of your life and is a vital tool for good health. A depressive state can chemically affect your health and suppress your immune system, leaving you at greater risk for infections and other health issues. See your doctor if you are experiencing depression, problems with anxiety or insomnia.

1. A support system is an important tool to help you mentally and emotionally. Good support systems can include: family, friends, church, healthcare team and support from others who share the same liver disease. Join our weekly online support group, Hep C Warriors Friday Forum Support Group, you will connect to others who care and understand what you are going through. A connection with others is good for your health and well being. For more information on Support & Resources see our listing on top of our website: Resource & Support.

1. See your doctor for regular physical exams and tests. Write down questions about your liver condition and care. Talk to your doctor about Hep C treatment options for your Hep C type and liver condition. Don’t be afraid to get a second opinion if you don’t feel right about their advice. You have the right as a patient to get answers to your questions, copies to all your medical records and be treated kindly and with care. See this article for more information about Turning a Bad Experience into Good.

1. Treatment for Hepatitis C. There are more treatment options available than ever before. New Treatments for Hep C are greatly improved with higher cure rates, lower side effects and less treatment time. Talk to you doctor about which Hep C treatment is best suited for your liver condition. If you do not have insurance or been denied by your insurance company, take heart, there are steps you can take toward treatment.

See our website Patient Assistant Programs resource listing, under Medical Information.

Download your free guidebook from Life Beyond Hep C, “3 Phases of Hep C Treatment; Your Guidebook from Diagnosis through Recovery.” This free book is packed with detailed information about Hep C, tests, treatment, what questions to ask your doctor and how to make a treatment plan right for you.  In addition, hold onto hope. New Treatment is being researched and in clinical trials with new treatments soon to be released. To download your free guidebook, see our home page or upper box in your subscription.

1. Faith, God’s Word, and the Power of Prayer.  Having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ makes the difference in life. He is our Lifeline. Reading and meditating on God’s Word (the Bible) daily transforms and equips us for victoriously living. Praying and receiving prayer support develops a deeper relationship and connection to God and others that are life changing. Simply put Faith, the Bible, and Prayer, changes who we are and empowers us to live beyond our circumstances. Nothing else in life can have greater impact on how we live.

Remember this, no matter what we face with Hep C, it is NOT bigger than Jesus. A great promise from Christ himself insures us He is with us always. There is nothing we can face, nothing too big, no place too far, no place so dark that Jesus is not right there with us the whole way through.  If you would like to place a prayer request on our Hep C Prayer Board or send a private prayer request, we would be happy to pray for you. See, Prayer Requests page.

Stop Hep C in its tracks! Be Proactive with your health. Take care of your liver. Never take for granted the positive difference you can make.

Do you have a Hep C Battle Plan? What ways are you fighting Hep C or Fatty Liver Disease?

Click here to post a comment.

More to read:

Facing the Future with Hep C

Overview Medication Listing for Hepatitis C Treatment

When You Can’t Afford Hepatitis C Treatment or Don’t Have Insurance

Will you help us? Like our Facebook page at: www.facebook.com/LifeBeyondHepatitisC , share on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Linkedin, or email to a friend, pass it on.  Thanks!

11 Responses to 10 Proactive Steps for your Hep C Battle Plan

1. Richard s. January 20, 2016 at 11:39 am #

Connie, an excellent job as always. I am glad you mentioned not smoking, since this is very important. I, myself, have a problem with over eating and not exercising enough. We are all so blessed to have medicine that really works andcan throw the interferon in the trash. The most important item on the list is the last. Having faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, who is the greatest doctor of them all. Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. God Bless, Richard.

• Connie M January 20, 2016 at 9:08 pm #

Thanks for sharing today. All of these items are important to be sure for our good physical health, and most importantly, having faith in Jesus Christ is vital to every part of our being. It is so fantastic the advancements in Hep C treatment that have been made in the last several years, and it’s only getting better.

For myself, the challenge comes to getting the added weight off that I gained over the last several years. It’s time for me to make some major changes. Now that the Hep C giant has been defeated I need to be aware the dangers of being over weight can cause liver damage with Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. Certainly don’t want that. You will probably see me writing about how I’m working on this challenge.

2. Mary A. January 20, 2016 at 12:06 pm #

Connie,
    Whoa! That is some hog. I agree with you wholeheartedly Richard, the last item it the crucial one. Without a solid faith in the Lord and being in His word, any seeming progress we make is temporary and superficial. Also for me, being part of LBHC support group was a major lifeline. I appreciated the expertise of my doctors, but they didn’t live HCV, so their understanding was limited by not experiencing it. I know in the past, I took my good health for granted. Not any more. By God’s grace I’ve reached my 12 week post treatment SVR. Every day I wake up and put my feet on the floor is a gift. His mercies are new every morning.
    In His debt,
    Mary

• Connie M January 20, 2016 at 9:16 pm #

Hi there Mary,
      Yes, that is a big ol’ Texas Wild Hog. This is a friend of Mr. Fix-It’s on his property that has quite a few wild hogs that are taking out his stock and fence. You normally don’t see them quite this big, but it happens.

Thanks for commenting today. I totally agree, our relationship with Christ is the most important proactive step we can make. I love it that you mentioned the support group. What a wonderful support group it is. Warm, caring folks full of support and ready to help.

I also agree, every day I wake up and put my feet on the floor is a gift. Each day is gift that’s why they call it the present. I am thrilled for your wonderful report of achieving SVR 12. Congratulations again my friend.

• Mike H January 20, 2016 at 11:07 pm #

Hi Mary,
      I’m agreeing with you a lot lately. I too am thankful for every day I put my feet on the floor.
      Connie, thanks again for a great post.
      I’ve said it before and will say it again. I am thankful for my diagnosis for two main reasons. First, as Richard has already said, my relationship with Christ has been strengthened and that is most important of all.
      Second, I am amazed at how good I feel after treatment. I did not know how sick I was! Every day puts a smile on my face!
      If anyone visiting us here on LBHC is afraid to test or treat, don’t delay.
      Mike H

• Connie M January 21, 2016 at 12:37 pm #

Hi Mike,
        Thanks for sharing. Drawing closer to Christ and strengthening our relationship with Him is the best decision we can ever make, which has profound effects on every area of our lives.
        Also the decision to seek tests and treatment along with steps for our Proactive Battle Plan are huge factors in defeating Hep C. I hope and pray everyone will be encouraged to take the steps toward better health and freedom from Hep C.

Thank you also for sharing how much better you feel now that you’re on the other side (beyond) Hep C. Wonderful hope and encouragement for all.

3. Richard s. May 18, 2016 at 10:33 am #

Connie, what a blessing to be able to re-read the site today. Thank you for all that you do. May our Lord Jesus Christ bless you greatly. In Christ, Richard.

4. Christine May 19, 2016 at 3:40 am #

Hi Connie
    My battle plan is to get up each day and try to get through with the help from my Lord.
    I am not too good with flu like symptoms.
    The NHS in England have capped the number of people who can be treated each month and only those in need of a transplant or with cirrhosis are being treated.
    There are l believe 22 regions all limited and fined if they treat more than allowed so NOT good news for sufferers here.
    The hep c trust is raising money to take legal action on behalf of those in need of treatment.
    Please pray for hearts of compassion rather than of stone.
    I am still awaiting a letter for my appointment and hopefully a Fibroscan so the level of scarring if any can be determined.
    You are so right about our mindset.
    I need to trust God with my life.
    He has determined every day and knows my future “nothing in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord”
    Romans 8 v 39
    God bless all hep c warriors and draw those to himself who don’t yet know him as Lord and Saviour.
    Amen.

• Connie M May 24, 2016 at 1:09 pm #

Hi Christine,
      Thank you for sharing this update. I am sorry this is happening. I know it is difficult to wait, but remember, the Lord is there to help you through this time. We are praying the barriers will be broken down and all who need treatment will receive it. Please keep us posted on how things are going for you.
      We are here for you.

Prayerfully yours,

5. Richard s. October 11, 2017 at 11:52 am #

Connie, thank you for re-posting. What a blessing. May the Lord bless all the hepatitis c warriors with good health. In Christ, Richard.

• Connie M October 11, 2017 at 2:53 pm #

Thank you for sharing today. Your proactive journey is so inspirational.