Walking with the Shepherd through Hepatitis C

iStock_000007264337Small (1)

There have been great strides of improvement with New Hepatitis C treatments available today compared to older treatments even from a few years ago. The reality to be cured from Hep C is greater than ever.

I am celebrating being cured from Hepatitis C for 5 years.  Hep C NO longer lives with me! The Hep C giant is defeated. Hooray!!! I am praising God for this great gift.  As I unfold the pages of my 2012 Hep C treatment journal, I stopped in my tracks on Day 11, which I titled, Walking with the Shepherd through Hep C.

The heart message of what it means as a Hep C patient to walk with Christ through the valley of darkness with Hep C, still holds true for any difficult situation we face. He is there to help us through whatever we face.

When David faced Goliath, he recalled past victories where the Lord helped him defeat the lion and the bear. (1 Samuel 17:37) The Lord had been preparing and training him for years for just this battle. May I encourage you to know that no matter what you face, the Lord is preparing and training you for victory.

I learned valuable life lessons through this time in my life which will stay with me forever as victory episodes because of Jesus being right by my side.

Here’s a snippet from my 2012 Hep C treatment journey:

Today is Day 11 on treatment for Hepatitis C. Each day is a walk in faith with the shepherd.  In between the ups and downs, twists and turns of this treatment, His assuring presence has not left me.  It’s amazing that even when I am sleeping I know He is watching over me.  It’s not something that can be properly put into words but I feel it from the depth of my soul.

The mornings always bring a challenge for the day as I put one foot in front of the other and just keep moving.  The fog is heavier in the morning and my thinking is as slow as my body.  But I am reminded each day that the eyes of faith can see what my physical eyes can never see.

Each day walking with the shepherd leads me further up the mountain and no matter what is around the next turn, He is there with me.  He quiet’s the storms, He parts the waters and He takes my hand.  For me that is more than enough.  I could not be in safer hands.

I am reminded in Psalm 23:4 “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and staff they comfort me.”

There are three vital elements of this message:

1.  Walk through means you are passing through.
  2.  I will fear no evil, (is an intentional choice statement) A declaration of faith.
  3. Because of the presence of the shepherd, I have no reason to fear.  He not only protects me but comforts me.  You are with me, is literal.  He is not distant but right there beside me every step of the way.

Psalm 138:7 is another great message, “Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life.”

Today I may be moving slow, but I’m moving.  I don’t have to shuffle along with my head down.  When I rise to take the next step, He comes by my side and holds His hand out to me and lifts me up.  The next part is so great.  He doesn’t let go.  He holds on.  And so do I.

What challenge are you facing?

Discover more in God’s Word

Moving Beyond Hep C with Hope.

Hepatitis C Treatment Journey; Facing the Giants Wholeheartedly.

8 Ways to Fight Hepatitis C

10 Responses to Walking with the Shepherd through Hepatitis C

1. richard June 22, 2015 at 10:04 am #

Today’s message is right on the mark. When I accepted the Lord Jesus Christ into my heart I was no longer alone. He is always with you. The Holy Spirit comforts us. Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. God Bless, Richard

• Connie M June 22, 2015 at 11:12 am #

Thank you for sharing. No matter the difficulty or challenge we face, be it Hep C or whatever, it makes a difference when we face it together with Christ. He never promises us that life will be easy or problem free, but He does promised to be with us and never leave us, helping us through it, the difference comes when we let go and let him. He knows what a stubborn gal I can be, but he patiently waits for me to let go, and refocus on him so we can move forward. What a friend we have in Jesus!

Blessing my friend,

2. Hernando June 22, 2015 at 11:48 am #

Good morning Connie. Thank you for your post and Richard for your response. Congratulations on your three year mark Connie. I needed to be reminded that the Lord is good always not just when I am feeling good or life is going my way. He cares for me in my times of weakness and distress also. Satan tries to snatch away the victory I have in Jesus, to make it less than the miracle it is to be alive. As it is written I need to ” Cast all my anxiety on Him because He cares for you” 1 Peter 5:7. Blessings to you. Hernando

• Connie M June 22, 2015 at 12:02 pm #

Hi Hernando,
      Thanks for commenting. I agree, Satan tries his best to snatch away our joy, and tries to get our focus off of Christ and more on the challenges we face. I heard someone once say, “pay attention to our own thoughts and where they are leading us, are they leading us to walk closer to Christ or moving us away from him.” I often have to stop in the tracks of my thoughts and tell myself this and recall 1 Peter 5:7. Thank you for sharing this today.

3. richard June 22, 2015 at 12:45 pm #

Connie and Hernando, thank you for speaking the truth, we are nothing without our Lord Jesus. He and He alone is are salvation. Hernando, I hope that your prograf level is in range. I am going to see my hepatologist on Friday. In Christ, Richard

• Connie M June 22, 2015 at 12:53 pm #

Keep us posted on how your appt. goes.
      You are in my prayers daily.

Hope you have a bright day my friend!

4. Mike H June 22, 2015 at 2:01 pm #

Connie,
    Thanks for this devotional. God has pulled us through the valley of HepC, but it is so important to stay focused on Christ after he has walked us through treatment. I am constantly reminded of how God worked on my lack of patience both before and during treatment. The reminders come when I try to push for the solutions I think I see. God answers our prayers as He determines, not us! Just this morning someone who I have been worrying about let me know that she is going to see my doctor about her treatment plan. I should have known that God was walking with her!
    Mike H

• Connie M June 22, 2015 at 2:34 pm #

Hi Mike,
      Thanks for commenting. You are absolutely right, God has pulled us through the valley of Hep C. When I was in treatment, there were days when climbing the mountain of Hep C was so hard Jesus had his hand extended to me and was pulling me up to get to the next step. I physically felt so bad yet I felt Him so close, which brought tremendous peace and strength.

Someone mentioned in our Bible study group yesterday, how could the disciples and others who saw Jesus do such miracles forget so quickly when it came time to face another need or obstacle?

I thought to myself, how would I have reacted if I walked with Jesus? Would I be any different? How often I’ve thought, “It’s a no brainer! How could people not see who Jesus was, and not have faith?” But then I look at my life, aren’t I really the same as the disciples? The answer is yes. The answer is the same Jesus gave and continues to give, “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, trust also in me.” John 14:1

I continue to remind myself when worry, and fear rise against me, these very words of Christ. I totally relate to your comments.

I am glad your friend is seeking treatment and help.
      Hope you are feeling better.
      Praying for you each day as you continue recovery.

5. Richard s. July 10, 2017 at 6:04 am #

Good morning warriors, I cannot sleep. My air conditioning broke on Friday. It was 121 degrees in Palm Desert. It is Monday and it is still not fixed. The crazy thing is I have insurance, but they dont want to pay. This to shall pass. What a blessing to reread your sites. The Lord is in control and I am His clay. God bless you all my brothers and sisters in Christ, Richard.

• Connie M July 11, 2017 at 12:03 pm #

Oh my goodness. I’m so sorry that you’re AC is broke. Yikes! And especially being in the desert. I hope you have some fans. I’ll be praying they get this fixed immediately.

Glad you enjoyed the post my friend. Keep us posted on how things are going.
      I’m keeping you in prayer especially for your upcoming eye surgery this Friday. Re-coup at the beach if you can.