Hepatitis C and Exercise

Hepatitis C and Exercise, What are the recommendations?  Dr. Joseph Galati M.D. a Hepatologist from Houston, Texas shares valuable information on how we can improve our health and take care of our liver through proper exercise.

Questions regarding hepatitis C and exercise are asked daily, and there is interest in the proper recommendation. There is research to support the fact that obese patients with hepatitis C are more likely to develop more fibrosis and scarring in the liver than those with hepatitis C who are thin. Obesity leads to fatty liver, elevated blood glucose levels, diabetes, and increased insulin levels. All of this leads to increased scarring, and the chance of developing cirrhosis of the liver.

Weight loss through diet and exercise is the best defense against progressive scarring of the liver. We have previously discussed hepatitis C and diet in another YouTube video. Here we discuss exercise in patients with hepatitis C. Options for exercise include a regular walking schedule, light weight lifting, cycling, swimming, elliptical trainers, treadmill work, and interval training.

If you are having trouble viewing this video, click here.

For more information on hepatitis C and treatment options, visit www.texasliver.com and www.yourhealthfirst.com.

Come check out Hep C Help and Hep C Patients Treatment Experiences and more at Life Beyond Hepatitis C.com

Do you do some form of exercise? Do you have a question about exercise and Hep C? We’d love to hear from you.

You can leave a comment by clicking here.

More to read:

istock_000017218730small

12 Healthy Diet Tips for Hepatitis C and Liver Disease

Boxing business woman punching towards camera wearing boxing glo

How to Fight Hepatitis C 8 Ways.

istock_000017115458small

Hepatitis C Treatment Journey: Facing the Giants Wholeheartedly.

Will you help us? Like our Facebook page at: www.facebook.com/LifeBeyondHepatitisC , share on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Linkedin, or email to a friend, pass it on.  Thanks!

12 Responses to Hepatitis C and Exercise

1. Mary A. October 28, 2015 at 9:42 am #

It’s raining here in Northern Cal! Well, more like spitting, but we’ll take it. This topic is close to my heart. I was brought up watching my mother on the rug as she tried to copy Jack LaLanne! It was hilarious, but even back in the early 60’s, the importance of regular exercise was taking hold. We played outside constantly (no electronic distractions). What I’ve found over the decades as a exercise devotee is to find an activity you like. Sounds like a basic premise, but I’ve seen many folks who struggle with this. Changes are high you won’t stick with it if you see it as drudgery or just a way to burn calories. Whatever you choose may depend on your age, the season, what part of the country you live in, and your finances (a pair of walking shoes versus a gym membership). I believe the Lord made us to move, and to know when to rest. We must be careful not to make exercise an “idol.” I confess to even using a good workout as an excuse to eat more with impunity. It’s about balance and as the video indicates, it is so important to the healthy functioning of our liver. I love what Eric Liddell, the Christian Scottish athlete (Chariots of Fire) said about his running, “when I run, I feel His pleasure.” We may not be Olympic caliber athletes, but we can see exercise as a way of giving glory to God, and thanking Him for the grace to put one foot in front of the other (or bicycle pedal, or ski or ………).
    Have a great Wednesday. Blessings to all.
    soli Deo Gloria,
    Mary

• Connie M October 28, 2015 at 4:24 pm #

Hi Mary,
      Thank you for sharing today. I relate. I remember Jack LaLanne from TV and my mother doing exercises. I am glad for those early memories (seeds were planted on how important exercise was). It wasn’t until later in adulthood did I realize God cares about how we treat our bodies (which belong to Him).

In 1 Corinthians 6:19, it says, “Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were brought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.”

When I began to see my body was a loaner from the Lord and not mine, I began to see what I was doing (or lack of doing) with it mattered to Him. We are just steward’s of what He has given us to use for short time.
      I love Eric Liddell’s testimony. When we take care of our bodies, we honor and please Him.

The benefits of exercise are tremendous. Small steps even in exercise can build momentum and make Big beneficial differences.

So glad you share the gift and joy in walking. On my walks, I’ve turned them into a powerwalk with a 3×5 card with a scripture I am memorizing for the week and often times of prayer. My energy level soars when I am walking. It’s my all time favorite exercise.

Thanks again for sharing my friend.
      Hooray for your turbo tennis shoes and energic spirit~

2. Richard s. June 15, 2016 at 8:59 am #

Good morning warriors, I agree that walking is very important. I also use to watch Jack LaLanne. God bless you all, Richard.

• Connie M June 15, 2016 at 11:11 am #

Thank you for sharing this morning. I remember watching Jack LaLanne. He was very good.
      Keep our bodies and mind’s active are so important to our overall health. So many health benefits from walking. It’s my favorite.

3. Christine June 15, 2016 at 9:30 am #

Good afternoon from England.
    I enjoy walks with the dogs.
    Not too keen on anything else really but l do try to push myself.
    Work involves a lot of walking too so l suppose l get enough exercise that way.
    I do love to dance to music and mainly worship and praise which is great spiritually and physically and talking about exercise l should do something right now.
    Off l go in the sunshine on a prayer walk.
    I will be lifting each one of you in prayer and praying for the Lord of the harvest to raise up his people to gather in the harvest.
    I do believe that the fields are ripe.
    So many suffering with hep c and the stigma associated with this and desperate to know that they are loved.

Luke 10:2
    And He told them, “The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into His harvest.”

God bless you all

• Connie M June 15, 2016 at 11:17 am #

Hi Christine,
      Thank you for sharing this morning. I love prayer walks. One of my favorite things to do on my walks along with taking some of my scripture memory cards and repeating them as I’m walking to help me memorize them.
      Someone once said, “it’s like taking a spiritual vitamin each day.”

I think of all the times in scripture where Jesus made a special point to go to a special place to pray. Walking is a great opportunity to turn this special time into a prayer walk with the Lord.

Thank you for sharing this.
      Continued prayer for you my friend.

4. Jan June 15, 2016 at 7:33 pm #

This is a ridiculous article telling hep C patients to exercise! I have had horrible side effects from my medications, to the point I have been house-bound for 3 months, don’t drive, am driven by friends and family. Dizziness, muscle weakness, falls, extreme neurological reactions, depression, and anxiety through the roof! I am sick of seeing the ads on tv that say take this pill and all is wonderful. Not so for all of us. I have read on other sites to look at 15 minutes at a time. Some days it was all I could do to take a bath! Horrible article!

• Connie M June 15, 2016 at 8:15 pm #

Hi Jan,
      I’m so sorry you have experienced bad side effects. When I was on my hep C treatment I felt the same way. This article though is talking to patients who are physically able and the benefits of walking exercise for overall health as well as liver condition. Depending on the patient’s overall medical condition any exercise should be discussed with your physician prior to beginning. Any weakening condition and side effects what so ever should all be reported to your physician. Keep fighting the good fight.

• Christine June 16, 2016 at 11:21 am #

Hi Jan
      So sorry that you are so unwell going through your treatment.
      I have no experience of treatment as l am awaiting mine.
      I did go through a couple of months before l was diagnosed and when l was newly diagnosed when l felt so dreadful that l really felt that l couldn’t go on.
      I was so fatigued and in such pain in my head that l could barely lift my head off my pillow.
      My whole body ached and l was very low in my spirit as a result.
      Thankfully l seem to have come through that time and l am able to enjoy walking in the beautiful countryside and maintain my working role.
      I dont know how l will feel tomorrow or how l am going to feel during treatment.
      Thankfully the new medications have fewer side effects. So l am very blessed in that.
      You are in my prayers and l am thankful that you have the support of others during your time of need.
      One day in the future you will be able to empathise with someone who is in the place you find yourself now and you will have your energy and life back.
      Be hopeful of that Jan and then just a simple walk will be the most beautiful thing,
      God bless

5. April October 12, 2016 at 11:21 am #

Hello to y’all,
    I’ve been recovering during the last two and a half weeks from a fall onto the sidewalk, which gave me bursitis in my knee and swelling down my lower leg. It was very painful during the first week after the fall and I saw a doctor who told me that everything was intact and prescribed some anti-inflammatory meds. When I researched those meds, I decided it was too risky to take them (NSAIDs). I used ice-cold packs. I was concerned about not getting enough exercise during my hep c treatment. I checked out a video of “armchair Pilates” and the exercises were just like what a PT ordered after my liver transplant. I also went to the library and checked out two books. One has strength exercises using body weight and the other has exercises for body maintenance and repair.
    Last week I started with a walk around the block and then a slow half hour walk two more times during the week. The pain gradually decreased and now I just have a pain across my shin where the leg is still swollen. Today I was finally able to do a quadriceps stretch on my injured leg. I expect to be almost fully recovered by next week. I’m resolved not to walk in too much of a hurry again. Be careful everybody!
    I’m enjoying the cooler temperatures and colors of autumn – it motivated me to get outside.
    God bless you,
    April

6. Mary A. October 12, 2016 at 2:22 pm #

Hi April,
    Thanks for the update on your unfortunate fall. I too am guilty of being in too much of a hurry and not always looking where I’m going. I don’t heal as fast as I did in my youth, that’s for sure. Happy to hear you are recovering and able to do some exercise, stretching and activities that keep you moving without aggravating the knee and lower leg.
    Autumn is my favorite season! The colors, crisp air and walking through crunchy leaves – it invigorates me. I’ve always had a preference for being outside, and fortunate to live in a mild California climate where it’s rarely too inclement to be outdoors.
    Praying you heal quickly and you are in good health otherwise. Have a lovely day!
    In His debt,
    Mary

7. Christine October 12, 2016 at 6:10 pm #

So sorry to hear about your fall April and glad that you are recovering.
    I enjoy getting out into the countryside and walking.
    I push myself to walk at a good pace and use that time as a time of prayer and refreshing.
    Not always eager to go but the dogs are a great incentive and l find thanking God that l am able to do so, lifts my spirit.
    Walking,something so many take for granted.
    I hope l never become so complacent about such a blessing again.
    Mary l also love this time of year.
    Wrapping up in warm clothing and feeling the crisp autumn breeze on my face.
    I have always enjoyed the outdoors and l have grown to value it more and more recently .
    There is something so empowering in spending that time away from the business of life and walking alone in the presence of God.
    You are all in my thoughts and prayers.
    God bless. Christine