How Long Does Recovery From Hep C Treatment Take?

spring sunset

Recovery from Hep C treatment holds important questions and expectations. How long does recovery from Hep C treatment take? Will I regain my life beyond recovery?

These are great questions and I’m sure you have many more.  One thing is for sure, recovery from Hep C treatment is different for each Hep C patient but there are common denominators shared by all.

First and foremost there is an expectation that needs to be addressed; when you stop taking treatment medication you do not instantly regain all your energy and treatment side effects don’t disappear overnight.

How long does recovery from Hep C treatment take?

An important factor to consider is what treatment medications did you take. We are now in a time when more Hep C treatment options are available.  If you used a combination treatment with Interferon and/or Ribavirin, your recovery may be different than someone who did not take these. It’s hard to paint all Hep C recovery with the same brush when different medications are used and other physical conditions need to be considered.

No matter which medications were used, or whether you completed the course of treatment or had to stop early, your body has been under attack not only from the hepatitis C virus but undergoing treatment is like being in battle. Visually consider your body has been under siege, similar to a battleground.

Restoration and rebuilding does not happen overnight. It takes time for all the treatment medications to leave your system, until then you may continue to experience treatment side effects for a while. The healing process takes time, patience and effort.

Most Hep C patients report seeing treatment side effects subsiding within a few months or longer and often times it takes 6 months to a year to regain full energy and feel well.  Some patients have reported side effects lingering for longer periods of time.  This may be due to the type of Hep C treatment medications used and varying stages of liver condition of each individual patient.

Many patients have reported having days of feeling great and wonderful energy and then crash some days later, or starting the day with energy and later in the afternoon or evening have to nap or lay down.  This is a normal part of recovery and rebuilding your stamina and endurance. It’s common for patients to feel a sense of frustration or depression with recovery.  Don’t allow emotions to sweep over your progress. You are going to get better and regain your life.

Your immune system has been compromised with treatment. Often there is a reduction in your red and white blood cell count, if your counts are low; it takes time to regain to normal levels. Until then it is best to take precautions and not be around people who are sick or travel in an airplane immediately after treatment until you have had blood work and your physician lets you know it’s safe.  Often fatigue lingers. Energy, endurance and stamina take time to rebuild.  Rest is necessary for recovery but moderate exercise is also important.

Personally, it took me 5 months post Hep C treatment to see a big change.  Each week I saw improvement and progress but there were days when I took three steps forward and two backward.  But I was still moving forward each week.

Beyond Hep C Recovery?

There is no magic timeline for Hep C patients to move beyond recovery. Small achievable goals to work toward each week make a big difference in setting up your own recovery program.  Focus on what you have gained not what you have lost.  A good attitude will help you progress in recovery.  Get rid of stinkin thinkin.

Recovery is temporary, and you will get beyond it. I am now 3 years post treatment and I enjoy full activities. I have more energy than ever before, but it did not happen overnight. Remember don’t overwhelm yourself. Do a little at a time.  By an inch it’s a cinch, by the yard it’s hard.   Recovery will come!

Have you done Hep C Treatment ? What was your recovery like? How are you feeling?

Click here to post a comment.

More to read:

1. Hep C Treatment Recovery Tip.
  2. 15 Steps to Recovery from Hepatitis C Treatment.
  3. Recovery from Hep C Treatment Side Effects.
  4. Celebrating CAN DO’S with Hep C Treatment.

Will you help us? Like our Facebook page at: www.facebook.com/LifeBeyondHepatitisC , share on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Linkedin, or email to a friend, pass it on.  Thanks

69 Responses to How Long Does Recovery From Hep C Treatment Take?

1. Suzanne June 3, 2014 at 7:18 pm #

Hi Connie,

This was a great topic for today. This is a frustrating part of being on treatment for this disease. I completed treatment 2 months ago and thought I would be 100% but it does take time. It certainly takes time for us to get to the point of starting medicine and it doesn’t wear off immediately when we complete it. I am 2 months out and still take it a day at a time. I was able to mow the back yard today which was huge and could have had someone else do it but I wanted to put that physical challenge in front of me and did it! I can remember in early spring when I couldn’t do that.

I have to constantly look in God’s word to keep motivated and also that in God’s time I will be 100%. I read today “As you turn your attention to Me feel the light of My Presence shining upon you.” Open your mind and heart to receive My heavenly smile of approval.” God gives me strength to do things he knows I enjoy whether it’s out in the yard, taking a walk or helping another that needs to hear the words I care. Our God is awesome and only through Him will we prevail.

God Bless,

• Connie M June 4, 2014 at 8:18 pm #

Thank you for sharing your recovery journey. What you are experiencing with recovery is so common, but I will say, if you were able to mow the yard two months post treatment, you are doing great! I was not able to mow but I did wrangle a few sheep which was tiring but not near as tiring as mowing. Keep up the good pace Suzanne, you really are doing great!

I agree, God gives us the strength to do more than we are able to do on our own. With Him we will get beyond all things, even recovery from Hep C!

Blessing friend,

• Cricket January 24, 2015 at 9:58 am #

My experience with Interferon and Ribavarin was terrible. I do not regret trying it as it was the latest treatment available. I was diagnosed in 2004 apparently I came in contact with Hep C through a blood product that was given to me during surgery in 1979. I have very little liver damage thanks to a good immune system. I have however had a lot of joint pain, fatigue and brain fog. I started Harvoni 4 weeks ago and just got my blood work results. Before the Harvoni my viral count was 3.9 million. Today my viral load is undetectable! 4 weeks! I am so excited for my future now. My brain fog is gone, my joint pain is history. I still have some fatigue but I assume it will be gone when I finish the treatment. I have been very lucky that I haven’t noticed any side effects. I honestly believe that taking the medication before bed has given it a boost in clearing my blood. Everyone knows that your body heals while you are sleeping. God Bless to you all and I hope the Harvoni gives you the same results as I have. Thank you Gilead for literally giving me my life back!

Cricket

• Connie M January 26, 2015 at 4:25 pm #

Hi Cricket,
        Thank you for sharing. Congratulations on your awesome treatment results!!! Woo Hoo!!! Hooray! Virtual High Five to you my friend. This is tremendous and I know you are beyond thrilled. We are celebrating and praising God with you.

It is tremendous how far treatment improvement has come. Keep us posted on how you’re doing and your progress. We’re here for you.

• Michelle A. April 6, 2015 at 5:00 pm #

Hi all..I am 6 weeks into treatment with Harvoni. At day 29, I had labs drawn….my starting viral load was 6,250,000….by the Grace of God, my viral load is undetectable now….home stretch of 6 more weeks and hopeful the viral load is still undetectable, then the 90 days of no meds and hoping the magic word out of my doc’s mouth, will be cured!!!!!

Does anyone have diabetes and having any neuropathy in your legs? I would love to hear your experiences and treatment protocol.

Godspeed to all.

Yours in wellness,
          Michele

• Connie M April 6, 2015 at 5:13 pm #

Hi Michelle,
            Thank you for sharing today! Congratulations on your exciting news!!! Praise God!!! This is awesome. I am beyond thrilled for you. Non-Detected is music to my hears. I love to hear the sound of the Hep C giant biting the dust.

Congrats also on reaching your 6 weeks Mile Marker. Before you know it you will be through.

You asked about diabetes and neurophathy, personally I don’t have either one, but I know studies are showing more hepatitis patients can deal with these issues. Are you seeing a Endocrinologist for the diabetes? I have an auto immune thyroid disease that I see a endocrinologist for and he was also telling me of his experience with Hep C patients who are diabetic.

Maybe some others folks will comment on this. If you like, post this question on our Hep C Warriors support group page and more folks will see it.

Keep me posted on how things are going and how I can help. We’re here for you.
            Praying & Cheering for you every step of the way.

• Richard s. October 9, 2016 at 11:08 pm #

Jane, please keep your opinions to yourself and do not speak with disrespect about God. We are a Christian site that also deals with hep c, however, the Lord Jesus Christ is first. Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord. In Christ, Richard.

• kriti August 10, 2015 at 1:39 am #

Give me diet plan

• Ramzy October 14, 2015 at 6:29 am #

Thanks Connie for presenting this hot topic
        Congratulations for Cricket for sharing his good news
        I indeed agree with you that there is a triangle I would say from my experience with
        Hep C treatment and recovery. This triangle consists of (1) decisive treatment like
        Harvoni that get rid of the virus, then (2) Healing as you said by good deep sleep
        Over night , and then Exercise . After I slept last yesterday in NY I got on the next morning active and went to walk down the 40th street easily.Although I am a poor guy in math by this triangle I felt that I am gaining strength and power with good deep sleep and exercises .which before the treatment it was hard for me to do so.Last thing I should mention is diet regime. As I said before I met with a fresh graduate doctor who has a good theory about food. He said that this issue is starting in the stomach . Healthy well stomach is the first step. For this reason he gave me B12 injection.
        Good luck for everybody

• Connie M October 14, 2015 at 10:31 am #

Hi Ramzy,
          Thank you for sharing. You are right, diet, good sleep and exercise all play a huge part in our recovery and rebuilding process. B-injections are also great!

• bill October 21, 2015 at 11:28 am #

its now 10 months since eot.am svr thanks LORD.took me a good 8months to get over the harsh effects of the riba.was on solvidi/daclatisvir/riba for 12 wks.am f4 cirrhotic so that does’nt help when clearing toxins from your system.but i am so much better.today i was awake by 6am feeling great.done alot in the morning.come about 2.30pm was worn out.sat down in my recliner for bout an hour and could feel my energy slowly returning.many people would say so what.but for me and where ive come from its a miracle.for years i shuffled around totaly fatigued.never thought i.d ever have the chance to enjoy life.im still mending had my 60th birthday in may thats still amazing me.one thing i do know me getting better is all down to the LORDS grace to me.without him i would be nothing.he will always be there for you. you only have to ask.god bless you all

• Richard S. October 21, 2015 at 12:04 pm #

Way to go brother Bill, you are right. It is all the Lord. May the Lord keep you and your family in good health. In Christ, Richard

• Nichole November 28, 2016 at 9:38 pm #

Apparently I was born with Hep C. I was diagnosed in a random accidental blood test at age 43. I have never received any treatment and trust my body to guide me as to what it needs nutritionally and physically. Although I would love to have more energy, I cannot imagine putting all those chemically made pills in my body. But that is why we are so blessed with freedom of choice to treat our bodies in our own way. Mineral hot springs works wonders for the blood levels too. Be well everyone.

• Richard s. November 29, 2016 at 1:19 pm #

Nicole, I strongly disagree with you. As someone who has gone through liver cirrhosis, liver cancer, and liver transplant. We now have new medicines that actually work and have few side effects. I urge you to see a gastroenterologist. If you have had hep c for over 40 years you are exposing yourself to unnecessary dangers. The Lord Jesus Christ works through doctors. God Bless, Richard.

• Connie M November 30, 2016 at 9:28 am #

Hi Nicole,
        I understand you don’t want to put chemicals in your body. You should be careful about what you’re taking, however, if you have Hep C, it is not going away and liver damage will only increase. There are no alternative methods or supplements that will cure Hep C. I encourage you to see a liver specialist for treatment and get this behind you so you can go on with your life. Just saying, because we care and want the best for you. Let me know if you have any questions and concerns. We’re here for you.

• John J. March 29, 2017 at 5:56 am #

Hello Nicole,
        I was diagnosed with HEP-C about 6 years ago. At that time treatments were very limited, therefore I chose to not go through any of them. Instead I prayed a lot trusting GOD to heal me. However, GOD heals people in many different ways. Sometimes instantly and other times over a longer period of time. I waited until more treatments became available. Right now I’m on latest HEP-C drug called HARVONI and I’m noticing a significant improvement. If You’re still battling this virus then give the latest treatment a try.
        GOD bless.
        John

• Connie M March 29, 2017 at 11:24 am #

Hi John J.,
          Thank you for sharing encouragement and how well you are doing on your treatment with Harvoni. These new treatments are extremely improved from older treatments.
          Keep us posted on how you’re doing. We’d love to hear from you.

2. Margater Polino Nicholas June 4, 2014 at 8:29 am #

Dear Connie, it has taken me since finishing treatment with interferon and ribivirin in February of 2011, to feel a lot more like me! Other permanent side effects need to be considered. Your message today really validated the amount of time it takes. Hep c warrior Margee and let’s all remember “NOT WITHOUT A FIGHT”

• Suzanne June 4, 2014 at 6:54 pm #

Hi Margee,

I hope more people will read this because it does take time and this is reality for us. I was actually able to get back out in the yard today and walk so all in good time. There are so many people that believe that ok she isn’t on meds anymore why isn’t she doing this or that and have to stop them and tell them these meds can be brutal to our body and if there is no virus detected our bodies are still working to heal the damage some of us have been left with for so many years because we weren’t tested. I hope Connie will bring this topic up again because I think it is crucial for our recovery.

God Bless,

• Connie M June 4, 2014 at 8:22 pm #

Hi Margee,
      Thank you friend for sharing your treatment recovery. Recovery is a step by step process in so many ways and the timeline is different for all. You are a real warrior on all fronts filled with courage and inspiration. Thank you for your awesome fighting spirit.

3. John Brandon August 20, 2014 at 2:59 pm #

Hi! I have been off Interferon/ribavirin/Sovaldi for 2 months. I have red spot/sores mainly on my back. I itch all over but mainly at the red spot sites. About 2 weeks after stopping the meds, I started having irritation in my mouth, lips and gums mostly. I wonder if any of your followers know about this side effect and can give me an idea how long it lasts. John

• Connie M August 21, 2014 at 6:40 pm #

Hi John,
      So sorry you are dealing this. Yes, this is a common side effect. There are several things to help, mainly get your doctor to give you a prescription for the itching, my doctor did and it helped greatly. Secondly, using Aveeno bath products with oatmeal, they have some designed for itchy skin. For the mouth, Biotin Mouth rinse, and Glyoxide, both over the counter. Both are awesome but for sores in the mouth, gums, lips, glyoxide works like a charm. I had “thrush” which is a common side effect similar, white spots, redness, sores, etc… in the throat and mouth. Unfortunately it visited me at the tail end of my treatment and even into recovery. Bummer! But the good news is, it will go away!

Be sure to talk to your doctor about the prescription and what’s going on. Use these products and try to not be out in the direct sun and heat for right now. Keep drinking tons of pure water. Hopefully soon you will start to see things getting better and going away. Mine took it’s sweet time about leaving but around my 3rd month into recovery it finally left for good.

Bring this up on Friday on the Support group and see what others have to say as well. But be sure to talk to your doc.

Praying for you to get relief soon.
      Blessings friend,

4. John September 17, 2014 at 3:05 pm #

I just took my last dose and wanted to know exactly what was in this article. Thanks again for posting exactly what I needed to hear. I am at the beach and it’s beautiful, but around lunch I took my last Ribavirin. I was so tired and I fell asleep for a couple hours and I didn’t want to have unrealistic expectations for tomorrow. I did walk for 4 miles this morning and play a heated game of tennis (I won), so I am also factoring that into my fatigue!!! Have a great day!

• Connie M September 26, 2014 at 8:39 pm #

Hi John,
      Sorry for the late reply to your message here, if you saw my post from last week’s forum you know I was having technical issues. I’m trying to catch up on email and comments. I have to tell ya, I was blown away when I read your message. Oh my goodness, I can’t believe you’ve been able to walk 4 miles and also play an awesome game of tennis. What are you taking my boy? You must be superman!

I am glad the recovery article helped you. Let me know if you have questions or need information. We are here for you.

Praying for you each day.

5. Connie M September 26, 2014 at 1:59 pm #

We’re glad you are here. Let me know if I can help.

6. Teresa September 27, 2014 at 12:41 am #

I have 6 more days of treatment, taking sovaldi/olysio. I am hoping my side effects subside rapidly so I can return to work. I had to take a medical leave due to my side effects, which are muscle/joint pain, joint swelling-mainly in my ankles and my knees, small break out of blisters on palm of my hands and on back of my thumb that itch, and itchy skin all over, fatigue, mild fever, achy all over. My legs and knees ache so bad that I can’t do day to day activities sometimes. My husband and my 16 year old daughter have stepped up and do all the cooking and cleaning.
    I am hoping for a swift recovery as I am ready to get back to life.
    At my 3 week check up, hep c was undetectable in my lab work. I am so Thankful for that. I pray that I stay undetectable.

7. Jimmy Mac October 1, 2014 at 11:09 am #

Thank you Connie for your inspiring blog. It was a breath of fresh air and gives hope considering I have read many where people say they never get back to “normal.” This scares the hell out of me and I hope to God that it’s rare because Ive been off of a 3 month course of sov/int/rib for about 5 months and I try to focus on the improvement such as the ability to get out of bed and be able to make some conversation with people and my depression has gone from severe to mild. Yet my brain is still foggy and my energy is not 100%. I had to go on testosterone and thyroid medication and that helped alot. I just feel like after 5 months that this is as good as it gets since it’s out of your system in 6. Is there any hope for removal of brain fog?

• richard October 1, 2014 at 11:29 am #

Jimmy, I had brain fog before my transplant that was horrible. I use to get lost driving home from bible study one mile from my home. I think it is the interferon? Check your amonia levels. You might need more lactolose? Ask your doctor. It does get better, but it is a very slow process. The Lord is faithful
      . In Christ, richard

• Hernando May 25, 2016 at 10:55 am #

Good morning Richard. I think you are right about the brain fog being caused by the meds. Doctors have found that for me Prograf is not the best antirejection med. Huge brain fog and lack of energy. I am in the process of changing to Zortress which they say does not have bad side effects. In the mean time I try to lean on the Lord and trust that this too will pass. Blessings my brother, Hernando

• Connie M May 25, 2016 at 12:07 pm #

Hi Hernando,
          Thanks for sharing your update on your changing your liver transplant anti-rejection meds. I hope you begin to feel better soon.
          You continue to be in our prayers daily.
          Keep us posted on how you’re doing.

• Richard S. May 25, 2016 at 1:07 pm #

Hernando, God bless you brother. You are right about the prograf. I think my kidneys are taking a pounding. Will see my hepatologist next week. Keep the faith. In Christ, Richard

• Connie M October 6, 2014 at 2:12 pm #

Hi Jimmy Mac,
      Thank you for commenting and sharing your Hep C treatment experience. You asked a great question about getting back to normal and removal of brain fog.

Well the good news is Yes! You will get back to normal. Every patient recovers at a different timeline. Brain fog is sometimes slow to leave but it does leave, so let me reassure you. You mentioned you had to go on testosterone and thyroid meds. I am glad you mentioned that, as this can be common. My thyroid went off during treatment and took quite a while into recovery before it finally leveled back to normal. But I am thankful for thyroid meds. Also my hormone levels changed as well, so we had to adjust.

Post treatment recovery is like a rebuilding process. We want it to go faster and most often filled a different timeline expectation, but it’s really progress that takes time. But it is progress.

Make sure your diet is healthy and continue to drink lots of pure water. This helps rebuild your body. Also a good balance of rest and mild exercise is important. For Brain Fog, if your thyroid and hormone’s are getting worked on this is contribute to the fog, so be patient, but you can also try working on some puzzles (something easy and work your way up) or go on Luminosity.com and see if that interests you. I personally worked on some simple puzzles, alittle each day. Started back some mild walking.

I also took Vitamins and extra B-12 which helped my energy. I rested when I needed to. Watched my diet to work on healthy foods. And worked on memorizing one scripture out of the Bible each week. That helped me tremendously. Put all of that together and the most important ingredient, time and patience and before you know it, you will be on the other side of after effects from treatment. Not only will you be “normal” but celebrating a cure and freedom from Hep C.

You will get there Jimmy!
      Keep me posted on how you are doing.
      Praying for you as you continue recovery.

• Sal SA October 26, 2014 at 2:49 am #

You and I seemed to have completed the same regimen. Me just 3 days ago! I’ve been wondering about testosterone to reguild muscle & for red blood cells… What do you think?

• Connie M October 26, 2014 at 1:24 pm #

Hi Sal Sa,
        It would be best to get a testosterone test from your doctor to check your levels. There are meds to help bring low testosterone back up. As for red blood cells, taking B vitamins will help greatly. B-!2 is also great to help rebuild energy, it can be given in shots or pill form.

• George October 26, 2014 at 2:00 pm #

Hi Connie
          I was tested at the beginning of this year for my B12 level. It was on the low side. I started taking B12 just before I went on treatment with Sovaldi/Olysio. I took 1000 mcg by sublingual tablet every day while on treatment and after as well. At the moment I am having a B12 shot once a month. I have come to realize that people with Liver disease are probably more likely to be deficient of this important vitamin. I am very happy that my doctor felt he had a reason to check that. Being deficient of B12 can cause serious problems. Thank you for talking about that.
          Bless you all
          George

• Connie M October 26, 2014 at 3:42 pm #

Hi George,
            Thank you for sharing about your experience needing B-12. I agree it is important and more doctors need to check it. That is were good communication with our doctors and being proactive with asking for tests is so important.

Quite frankly, the patient is the best one to know what we’re feeling and if something isn’t right, we have to speak up about it and be persistent.

So glad taking the B-12 helped you. It helped me as well.

• J.D. Worley December 5, 2014 at 4:14 am #

Sal Sa you probably will not ever read this but for what it’s worth I will post it.
        I suffer from low T also and was on injections for a year. 2 months after stopping the treatment I had a stroke.
        I advise anyone considering testosterone treatment, to proceed with caution. You may have seen some of the ads on TV from law firms suing the pharmacy because these medications can cause strokes and heart attacks.
        As far as rebuilding red blood cells, my physical therapist told me that most of the blood is produced in the thighs and building up the leg muscles can help boost your red blood cell counts.
        I hope this helps if you ever come back to this old post and read it.

• richard December 5, 2014 at 9:55 am #

JD, very interesting. God Bless, Richard

8. Sal SA October 26, 2014 at 2:47 am #

Can anyone guesstimate approx how long after my last day (10/22) of (PegInterferon Inj, Ribavirin & Sovaldi x 12 weeks) treatment it will take for the “anorexia”, lack of appetite & abdominal discomfort (including bloating & gas) to go away?

I understand that because of low red/white blood cells, I’ll be anemic & low on energy for a while. But, I’m trying to really get myself physical again & rebuild muscle/strength & size. I’ve lost over 18 lbs (I’m only 5’7″). I was 203 lbs of lean muscle when I started treatment. I’m feeling a little down & I get tired very easily. When I do physical exercise or stress my body. I end up having to nap for a hr & take a Tylenol (only 500 mg prn no more than 2/day.
    My other worry are the headaches that never seem to discipate? Any info you may have will help me make heads n tails of what I’m going through!

• Connie M October 26, 2014 at 1:39 pm #

Hi Sal Sa,
      Going through Hep C treatment is no small thing as you know. Since we did not climb the treatment mountain overnight, recovery is not going to happen quickly either. Having Hep C and treatment take a toll on the body, so your body is now in the rebuilding process. It’s a slow process, but it’s progress toward building back a healthy body. The main thing is to be patient with the process. Start slowly with exercise, and if your body says REST, then take those Rest Stops! A good balance of rest, exercise, good nutrition, drinking lots of pure water, vitamins, and time will get you back to normal.

Personally it took me around 5 months to feel normal again where my energy and stamina were good. There are good and not so good days in recovery, but slowly you will be able to experience more and more good days and less of the not so good. Every patient gets there in a different time. It also depends on how much liver damage you had prior to treatment. Remember the liver is an amazing organ that can regenerate itself, but again, that takes some time.

So don’t be hard on yourself, give yourself lots of grace and celebrate all the things you can do and will beable to do again in the future. It will happen!

The headaches will slowly begin to get better and go away. Make sure you’re drinking pure water at least 64 ounces a day, to keep you hydrated and flush your system. As for weight loss, some patients report losing weight or gaining during treatment but in recovery that normally levels out. Your appetite will slowly come back as well.

Keep up with your doctor’s appointments and blood work and in time you will see great improvement. Keep me posted on how you’re doing. We’re here for you. Feel free to jump on our online support group on Friday’s, Hep C Warriors Friday Forum Support Group, there are many who have completed the same treatment who can encourage you as well.

9. Sal SA October 26, 2014 at 2:21 pm #

Thank you so much Connie! ☺️
    I’m a RN but this is my first time dealing with my own recovery. I can unusually gauge how things are going. But with this, it seems that from one moment to another I lose my breath & have to do whatever I can to feel like I’m not suffocating. I question my own advice & knowledge & am afraid to be caught out in public having what feel like small panic attacks. I’m going to do as you say, just take things slow and listen to my body. It seems also kinda difficult for me to get others to understand that just because I’ve completed treatment & “cleared” the virus. I still have healing to do and the “toxic” feelings don’t just magically go away because my labs show no Hep C.
    It’s a lot. I feel emotionally overwhelmed many times. And, the lack of energy make me feel like I’m not being productive or an equal participant in things. Some people I talk to act like just because I have a nursing background that I should know everything that’s happening.
    I’m glad there are other survivors & as I will call “the treated” that can give me advice.

• Connie M October 26, 2014 at 3:58 pm #

Hi Sal,
      You brought up an extremely good point. Most people when they see “us” with Hep C, we most often times, “don’t look sick.” I wish I had a dollar for how many times people said that to me. And even when treatment is over, they don’t have any idea what we’re feeling on the inside can be completely different from what we appear to look like on the outside. Other Hep C patients understand very well.

I know others would sometimes say to me in recovery, “Oh I thought you’d be over that by now!” or again, “you don’t look sick.” Others don’t realize how this makes the Hep C patient feel when these things are said. I know most people mean well but unless they’ve gone through it, it’s hard to understand.

And just because someone is a medical professional, doesn’t mean they rise above experiencing difficulty with treatment or recovery, I believe there is a misconception about that as well. But here is what is so awesome….You’re going to come through this and be able to share such great encouragement and knowledge to others whom God will put in your path. I firmly believe it makes good nurses and doctors even greater.

Everything you are experiencing is totally normal for recovery. It takes time but you are going to recover and do great. You have a terrific life ahead of you! Just remember, recover is one step, one day at a time.

We are here for you!
      Praying & Cheering you on as you fully heal & recover.

10. Michelle A. April 7, 2015 at 2:00 am #

Hi Connie,

First, I want to thank you for being here and hosting this blog. It felt so good to express outwardly!! I have not told anyone about my Hep C except my family. Too much stigma attached to it.

I have not seen an Endocrinologist. My primary care doc has always managed my Diabetes. I have been to a Neurologist and Rheumatologist. I am at the point where I am going to see a Pain Management doc. I have to get some relief from the pain…it is so bad at times. I don’t dwell on that part, but want to be proactive and see if I can get it managed. It might stay this way until I get through treatment and recovery.

Again, thank you for taking the time to read, listen, respond, your prayers of support and encouragement. You are awesome and appreciated!!!!

In wellness,
    Michelle
    😀

• Connie M April 7, 2015 at 9:38 am #

Hi Michelle,
      You are so welcome. You are surrounded here by lots of caring folks who understand what you’re going through. We are here for you every step of the way.

I had some issues with lower back pain when I was 1 month from treatment being completed. I went to a pain management physician who started me on some physical therapy which helped but did not totally take the pain away. My condition was different than yours, but we finally purchased a foam (temper pedic type)mattress pad for our bed and my lower back pain disappeared. Go figure! Which I am glad it made a difference in my pain, but I am working on losing the weight gain from treatment in order to resolve some issues trying to compromise my health.

I’m praying for you as you seek medical counsel for these issues and for your treatment.
      Keep me posted on how you’re doing.
      We are here for you.
      God Bless my friend,

11. BevA April 24, 2015 at 5:34 am #

I am in my third week of treatmenyt with Harvoni. I feel great, but have developed an itchy rash on my legs. Anyone else have rash with Harvoni? Will it go away?

• Connie M April 27, 2015 at 12:37 pm #

Hi Beva,
      Thank you for sharing today. I am sorry you have developed this rash. This is a side effect of treatment. You need to let your doctor know about this. There are a couple of things you can do. First, your doctor can prescribe a hydroxyzine for itching. Second, benedryl over the counter can also help along with creams for itching and rash. Aveeno has good products to use in bath or shower to help as well. But since the rash and itching are due to treatment meds your most effective way to combat it is with Hydroxyzine.

Hope this helps. And most times rash can ease up or go away during treatment and most certainly does after treatment is completed.

Keep us posted.
      You are in my thoughts and prayers.

12. Tisha September 26, 2015 at 9:53 am #

I’m too are going through treatment. When I first received the news, I was devastated!! I cried and cried and I thought this was a punishment of some sort. I begin to pray and immediately God started talking. He said this is not a punishment. You have known me a deliverer, a keeper, a provider, but you don’t know me as a healer. Yes, I’ve healed others when you’ve prayed, but I had to get up close and personal. Many of the righteous are afflicted but God delivers them all. The anointing on our lives will be greater after this! The greater is here and we will dwell in it. This is the year of Jubilee and will have victory over sickness! God bless

• Connie M September 30, 2015 at 3:23 pm #

Hi Tisha,
      Thank you for sharing. I hope you are doing well. Keep us posted.
      We are here for you.

“He is before all things and in Him all things hold together.” Colossians 1:17

• Alhusainy April 30, 2017 at 12:15 pm #

In my opinion rash & itching is side effect of hcv, not only due to treatment as I had this before even starting the treatment.

I had mouth ulcers etc. My doctor prescribed Ferrous Sulpharte & Folic Acid. It removed mouth ulcers etc.

13. S mistry October 3, 2015 at 3:18 pm #

Hi ,

I was HCV gynotype 1& have completed sofosbuvir and ribavirin 24 weeks treatment just before a day . Since last 2 1/2 months I am having diarrhea after every few days . I have lost my appetite and lost weight . I want to know how long it will take my stomach to get normal . My viral load was undetectable after the 12 weeks of treatment .

• Connie M October 3, 2015 at 3:26 pm #

Hello S Mistry,
      I’m sorry to hear you are having these issues. I am not real clear on when you completed your treatment. But no matter what the time frame, if you are continuing to have diarrhea, loss of appetite, and losing weight, you need to contact you doctor immediately for tests and exam. You don’t want to get dehydrated. Your symptoms are not normal side effects for post treatment, you could possibly have a stomach virus, but in anycase, you definitely need to contact your doctor right away. Keep drinking water, and if possible Powerade or something that has electrolytes in them. Even pedilyte for kids will help.

Keep us posted on how you’re doing.
      I will be praying you get some medication and help from your doctor so this can resolve.

• S Mistry October 5, 2015 at 12:45 am #

I completed HCV treatment on 1st October 2015 that is before 4 days . All my blood , stool and colonoscopy reports are normal . My doctor prescribed antibiotics for longtime but it did not help . He says it could be the side effects of ribavirin , hence i am asked to wait for 2 weeks to check if the symptoms go away.

Thanks
        S Mistry

• Connie M October 5, 2015 at 11:03 am #

Hi S. Mistry,
          If you have been taking antibotics for a while, this can mess with the healthy bacteria balance in the bowels, which can cause diarrhea and stomach upset. You can eat yogurt with live cultures or take an over the counter chewable tablets of Probiotic Acidophilus. You can talk to your pharmacist about side effects of antibotics and how probiotic acidophilus, and liver cultures in yogurt can help. This is not a prescription, you can get it at any pharmacy area.

It makes helps make a big difference.

Praying this will resolve quickly for you.

14. Mary A. October 14, 2015 at 12:52 pm #

Good day fellow brave Hep C warriors,
    Wow!! So many of us can relate to this topic, in fact all of us post treatment. Suzanne, I can relate to your comments that some people assume that after you take that last dose, magically your body bounces back to “normal.” I wish. God has been very gracious to me in that my side effects with Sovaldi/Rivavirin were mild (insomnia early on and some itching). The itching persists, I am not even 2 weeks post treatment. I have experienced something I haven’t seen on these comments yet. I have had Herpes on and off for decades (“cold sores” and genital) mostly during stressful periods. During my 12 weeks of treatment, Herpes was almost always present, not severe outbreaks, but there. I think my immune system took a dive. Since I was on a high powered Hep C antiviral, taking another antiviral (Acyclovir) was not recommended. Fortunately, the herpes symptoms were mostly annoying, with mild “yucky”‘feelings.
    I was also blessed that the Lord saw to it for me to have the energy during treatment to do my morning walk, six days a week. I have been very active all my life, and one of my big fears was fatigue and not being able to lace up my shoes, head out the door at 6 am, listen to sermons on Christian radio and behold the wonder and beauty of each new morning God gave me. I never missed one day (never walk on Sunday’s), and did a good 8 miles each time. Now, THAT is God’s grace in action. I was willing to accept if God chose for me not to walk, and the possibility of my being cured of Hep C put walking at a lower priority. Thank all who commented today on your experiences. I pray everyone sees improvement, however gradually, and relief from side effects. Our comfort and strength come from Him, who eases our burdens and gives us rest.
    soli Deo gloria,
    Mary

• Connie M October 14, 2015 at 1:38 pm #

Hi Mary,
      Thank you so much for sharing today. I am glad you enjoyed the article. Post treatment recovery is a bit of a mystery in some ways, because we always hear more about treatment than recovery. Every patient recovers at a different pace. But no matter what the pace, God is at work!

I thought about my recovery like descending a mountain. I didn’t climb the treatment mountain quickly and neither is recovery. But each day more progress is made. Praise God!

It was great to realize that Christ continues to be right next to me, no matter where I was in the process.

I have a theory about the body under treatment with a weaken immune system. If we have a weak area in our system, treatment can bring it to the surface and have it act up during treatment and even for a while in recovery while our bodies are trying to rebuild. (This is just my theory, and from personal treatment experiences of 3 times.) Each time I did treatment I had flare up with my auto immune disorder and some other stomach issues. I have talked with lots of patients over these years and noted that many of them had the same experience.

Good nutrition, vitamins, exercise and good rest, go a long way in helping our bodies rebuild our immune system.

You are doing great my friend. What a praise that you have been able to continue your walking!!!! Yayyyy!

Keep us posted on how your doing.
      God Bless you my friend,

15. Richard S. May 25, 2016 at 8:47 am #

Connie, I love to re-read your posts. You are right on the mark when you say it takes 6 months to 1 year to recover. Everyone is different, but it took me at least 6 months to partially recover. Of course because of my liver cancer and transplant I always have to be on alert for complications. Once you have a transplant your immune system is never the same. Maybe it is all the anti rejection medicines? Again, I strongly recommend everyone who has hep c get treatment. The new medicines are superior with minor side effects. Time to take action now my Christian brothers and sisters. The Lord Jesus Christ is always faithful. Praise His name. In Christ, Richard .

• Connie M May 25, 2016 at 12:03 pm #

Thank you for sharing this morning, It is great encouragement for others to hear recovery experiences from other Hep C patients, and post transplant patients too! Your recovery from Hep C, cancer and transplant is truly inspiring. I praise God for all He’s done and doing in your life.
      Thank you for encouraging others to get tested and do treatment.

As a fellow friend & Hep C Warriors says, “Get Tested, Get Treated, Get Cured!”

16. Steve December 19, 2016 at 12:34 am #

Hi, I have taken Harvoni treatment 12 weeks regiment 5 months ago now. I have some issues that I would like to understand or to know if they will be gone, or what to do? I have strange eyesight problem (the best I can describe it, is everything looks as if I havent slept for a day) confusing too bright and cant concentrate. I have brain fog, fatigue and severe depression. I really do not know what to do and cant seem to find any help anywhere.

• Connie M December 19, 2016 at 9:56 am #

Hi Steve,
      I am sorry you are dealing with these after effects. If I may ask, did you experience any of these issues while you were on treatment? Have you reported these to your physician who treated your Hep C?
      Sometimes side effects can linger in post treatment until 6 months to a year. In my post treatment I did experience some light sensitivity and slight blurry vision that would come and go but this later cleared up. It would be a good move though for you to be seen by an eye doctor to check everything. I went to my eye doctor for a thorough exam and all was OK. I used some moisturizing eye drops for a while that helped a bit but eventually everything cleared up and the light sensitivity cleared up as well.

As for brain fog and severe depression, I do not know if you have cirrhosis or other medical conditions that could attribute to this, but you need to report this to your physician. Did your treatment include Ribavirin? If so, this can sometimes cause some of these symptoms. Every patient’s recovery experience is different. But one thing is for sure, recovery takes a while to get back to normal. Some patients recover quickly, while others take 6 month to a year. Keep drinking lots of pure water. Take rest stops when you can and eat a good nutritious diet. Avoid process foods as much as possible. Talk to your doctor about the brain fog and depression. Sometimes we need an anti-depressant to help us while our body is repairing and rebuilding in post treatment. Anti-depressants are a good tool to help you, so if you need to use them this is OK. I had to use an anti-depressant while I was in treatment and in recovery. Later down the road in recovery I was able to step down off the anti-depressant and have done just fine.

Feel free to let me know if you have other questions or concerns. We’re here for you. You WILL get better and get beyond this my friend.

Keep us posted on how things are going.
      Warm Blessings my friend,

• Steve December 19, 2016 at 7:14 pm #

Hello Connie, thank you for replying.
        I did indeed have these side effects while in treatment, they were much more severe though. I have reported those side effects especially the vision to all of my doctors and was told that it is not related and that it is strange (vision part) and then I was basically ignored. Later, months after the treatment, I was given a similar answer of confusion, stating that it all should have gone away by now.
        I was seen by two eye doctors, Optometrist and later neuro ophthalmologist, both could not find anything wrong.
        I do not have any other medical conditions, as a side note, I was a heavy lifter prior to treatment that left me bedridden for months.
        And this is where I am very confused, with tests and my prior history, I seem to be very healthy, yet the things I experience are completely opposite of health, feels like I am extremely ill and aside from everything else, very tired even 5 months post treatment.
        By now, none of my doctors want to see me anymore, they are confused and say that they can not help. Not sure what else to do.
        Thank you for replying Connie M. I am glad that at least someone is talking to me about this.

• Connie M December 19, 2016 at 8:59 pm #

Hi Steve,
          I appreciate your filling me in. I’m so sorry you’re dealing with all of this. I do know this, recovery from Hep C and treatment is something physicians don’t seem to know a whole lot about. Recovery can be a bit of a mystery because so many factors play into post treatment. I certainly do believe what you’re going through. A lot of us have had similar situations with recovery and it can be frustrating.
          May I ask you another question, has anyone checked your thyroid, especially your TSH, T3 & T4? I ask this because hep c treatment can sometimes trigger thyroid problems. If you do happen to have hypothyroidism for some reason, this can also cause the symptoms you’ve mentioned. Don’t assume just because you’ve had blood work that they tested you for it. Ask specifically.

As a patient you also have the right to have copies of all your test reports and medical records.
          There are answers to why you’re feeling this way. It’s a shame but the patient has to become their own advocate and a bit of an investigator.

Let me know what you find out about the thyroid check.
          Also keep sharing. We’re here for you.
          I’ll keep you in my prayers.

Warm Blessings my friend,

17. Richard s. December 19, 2016 at 4:58 am #

Steve, the medicine doesn’t cure cirrhosis .I am not a doctor, but it sounds like that to me. Make an appointment with your hepatologist. The Lord Jesus Christ is always there for us. Reach out and ask Him for wisdom. He will help you my brother. In Christ, Richard .

• Steve December 19, 2016 at 5:04 am #

Thank you for your reply. I think I should have added some more information. I was checked after the treatment was complete three months after. All was clear, my liver was absolutely normal even though the symptom Im describing were still present.

18. G February 8, 2017 at 4:14 pm #

Thanks for this! My doctor is trying to convince me to do treatment but I have been scared of doing it.
    I have very little energy and sleep ALOT…I was wondering if getting treatment would help increase my energy but I think this made it clear for me.
    Very much appreciated it.

• Connie M February 8, 2017 at 6:10 pm #

Hi G.,
      So glad you found the article helpful. Hope you will move forward with treatment.
      Let us know if you have questions or concerns. We’re here to help.
      Keep us posted on how you’re doing.

19. Sishir July 11, 2017 at 3:34 pm #

I have Hcv genotype 3 with viral load 7700000 going to start medicine soon can I come back to normal health..please help me… pratigya

20. Connie M July 12, 2017 at 1:09 pm #

Hello Sishir,
    Yes, if you do not have cirrhosis which is severe scarring of the liver, you most certainly can get back to normal health after Hep C treatment. The liver can regenerate healthy tissue after being damaged from the virus once it’s eliminated in most cases where there is not severe scarring. Be sure to NOT drink any alcohol what so ever. Drink lots of pure water and eat a healthy diet, this will also help your body and your liver function better. Healing take a little time after treatment is completed so be patient with the progress and take care of yourself.

Feel free to let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. We’re here for you.

Blessings and Good Health to you my friend,