Hep C Battle; Conquering Fear

Cross silhouette and the clouds

No matter where you are in the battle with Hep C, you can conquer the giant of fear.  Fear can be gripping, dominating, paralyzing our thoughts and actions.  Our giant wheels it like a whip.

God reminds us in His word, “For God did not give us the spirit of fear, but a spirit of power, of love and a sound mind.” 2 Timothy 1:7 NKJV

So who are we up against when fear bellows out doubt, dread, worry, anxiety and launch’s the attack of the ‘what if’s’?  Its Goliath’s brother sending a borage of despair, beating us down until we have a defeated mentality.   The giant of fear is every bit as real of the giant of Hep C.  Learn to recognize and discern his ugly voice.

Mr. Fix-It and I were driving to my doctor’s appointment one morning right before I was to begin Hep C triple therapy.  I was stricken with dread, my thoughts began to drift toward ‘what if’s.’  I sinking lower and lower.

I keep the radio station in my truck on a Christian station and the song, “Your Great Name” by Natalie Grant began to play.  When I heard the words to this song it was as if I was hearing the battle charge from God.  I lifted my countenance to see the victory flag flying.  The message rang out loud and clear, Nothing can stand against your great name. Nothing!

God had reminded me in His Word that very morning, the words of David in Psalm 16:8, “I have set the Lord always before me.  Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.”  Repeat after me, say it out loud,  I will not be shaken!

The assault to my spirit had already begun on the way to the doctor by Goliath’s cowardly brother who lurks in the shadows.  He was doing his best to get me to believe, I was going to lose this battle.

I remember whispering, “God is my strength and my fortress, nothing can stand against Him.” Fear folded its tent and left defeated.  No more echoes of despair or dread.  I was lifted up and fortified with God’s strength.

I hope you will recognize when Goliath’s brother shows up. Don’t allow him to throw darts of fear and despair your way.  I encourage you to use the Sword of the Spirit which is God’s Word. Ephesians 6:10-18 explains the Armor of God.

Turn up the music my fellow warriors and Armor Up!

Live Fearlessly!

Can you identify dealing with fear, and dread in the battle with Hep C?

I’d love to hear your thoughts.  Feel free to post your message in the comment section below.

More to read:

1. Facing the “What If’s with Hep C”.
  2. Hepatitis C Treatment Journey: Facing the Giants Wholeheartedly.
  3. Post Hep C Treatment Recovery:  God is Able; Connie’s Video Update from 2013.

12 Responses to Hep C Battle; Conquering Fear

1. Margaret Polino Nicholas April 1, 2013 at 5:20 am #

This is the message I needed. I am feeling much dread at doing triple! Keep encouraging us Connie! Warrior Margee

• Connie M April 1, 2013 at 1:57 pm #

Margee,
      Thank you for letting me know how God has blessed you with the devotional. We all go through times when the giant of fear hollers loud and we have to remind him Who we are in Christ.

May God “Wow” you with His goodness this week!

Blessings my fellow Warrior~

2. debbie April 2, 2013 at 10:35 pm #

Connie,
    I read your post and found it so true to all phases of the Hep C walk/journey. Fear is all around, lurking, waiting to attack! But I love the victory flag! Yes! I can see it! Nothing can stand against your great name. Nothing!
    Thank you for sharing it!

• Connie M April 3, 2013 at 6:49 pm #

Debbie,
      Thank you for your encouraging words. When fear shows up, I often think of running to my Father (God) like a child who stands behind Him. With the Lord by our side, nothing can stand against us. Fear is toast!

3. Kimberly K August 12, 2013 at 5:17 pm #

Hi warriors. First of all I salute you. Fear is a dis-ease state. Why throw fuel on the fire? Hep C is a big enough challenge and we need to remain calm, cool and collected so we can heal. I can promise you that this will pass.
    Anytime you need a fear fix come here. You won’t be afraid long. Love and live in the sprit.
    Warrior Kim”Berly.”

• Connie M August 12, 2013 at 5:47 pm #

Kim,
      Thanks for your comments. You are so right, fear is like throwing fuel on the fire. When we are fearful and anxious it effects us not only emotionally but physically.
      Our compass is God’s word. We can’t help but experience fear and anxiety from time to time but when we do, we need to stop and evaluate what’s going on and remember 2 Timothy 1:7 “God does not give us a spirit of fear, but a spirit of power, of love and a sound mind.”

I try my best to practice the power of the pause, stop and pray. I get gut honest with the Lord and tell Him how I’m feeling. Once I lay it all out, the best thing I can do is visualize myself laying it in His hands and walking away from it (no strings attached!). Reading His word,and listening to some good christian/praise songs always helps. Fear and Anxiety don’t stick around when Praise and Thankfulness is present.

Can you name 5 to 10 things right now to be Thankful for in your situation?

4. Kathy November 18, 2013 at 6:39 am #

Hey Connie, thank you for all the post. They have been so helpful. I wrote to you the other day about the rash I have. I quit taking the incivek last Thursday. Today would have been my 10 th week. I pray the virus doesn’t come back. The rash is not getting any better. The Atarax does help but the itching is so so bad. I use benadryl cream and cortisone cream. All that does help but not to good. Do you remember how long it took you to get rid of the ash? I am suppose to take pegassys shot today and keep taking the rivabaren. Did you continue with these meds and did it cause your rash to get worse? I can’t sleep for the itching and i am tired as a result of low red blood count and not sleeping. I need sleep. This is the worse part of the therapy yet. I am going to call dr today to see what other options I have. Any information you have will be greatly appreciated as they have in the past. I will continue to pray for you and thanks again for all your help. God Bless

• Connie M November 18, 2013 at 10:27 am #

Hi Kathy,
      Thanks for writing and sharing what is going on. I remember thinking I would probably feel ‘instant like, within day relief’ when I stopped the Incivek. That did not happen. It took a good two weeks before I really began to feel some relief and after that it got better. Unfortunately its a slow and gradual process. Yes, I did continue on with the Peg Interferon and Ribavirin and completed the course of treatment and I believe that played a vital role in my staying virus clear.

But my rash cleared up and the itching got considerably better. All the problems with rash and itching on my bottom completely cleared up, but again, this took a little time. I just persevered and it got better each week.

The Incivek portion is very strong. Remember these soldiers were the front line attack to the virus cells. It takes awhile for it to completely leave your system. So technically, they are still working for you as they continue to leave your body each day.

Each day is one day less of the worst (side effects) and each week will become better. I know it’s hard when you already feel yucky and need relief and sleep so bad. All you can do is be patient with the process. There is nothing you can do that will make this process speed up. It’s just a day at a time. But it will get better!

Keep using all the products and meds for relief.
      Has your doctor prescribed a sleep aid? If not, there is an over the counter sleep aid, Walmart brand “Nighttime Sleep Aid” with Diphenhydramine HCI 25 mg. It is the same thing of Tyelnol PM without Acetaminophen. But if your doctor says it’s alright for you, try the Tyelnol PM. I took 1 Tyelnol Pm all through out treatment and still continue to do so. 1 tablet for me helps me sleep without feeling drowsy the next day.

Also, make sure you take your Ribavirin NO LATER than 4pm, otherwise this interfers with sleep. I had two nurses tell me this and it was good advice.

And keep drinking your water! This also helps hydrate and flush your system.

You will get relief! Keep focused as before on getting to your weekly Mile Marker and God’s Word. Today if you can, listen to some Christian music that will help you feel encouraged and if possible (weather permitting) get outside for a bit. Even if its just 5 to 10 mins. Just taking a break from your normal environment will help take your mind off of how your feeling. When I was exactly where you are at right now, I had to do that and it helped.

Hope these suggestions help my friend.
      I’m continuing to pray for you and especially in this treatment transition.

In Deuteronomy 30:11 the Lord tells us, “Now what I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach.”

You can do this Kathy!
      Love & Prayers~

5. Don McCormick September 8, 2014 at 9:21 am #

Fear is my greatest weakness…

6. richard March 23, 2015 at 11:22 am #

Connie, I sure wish I would have known not to take ribavirin at night. When on was on regular interferon and pegalated interferon back in 1998 and 1999 my hmo told me almost nothing. The medicines today are miracles from our Lord Jesus Christ. We are so blessed my friend. Thank you for this site. God Bless, Richard.

• Connie M March 23, 2015 at 1:33 pm #

Thank you for sharing today. I know what you mean, no one told me when I did my first treatment about the effects of taking ribavirin at night and I dealt with higher insomnia episodes. Later when I did my other treatments I learned from one of the nurses, not to take it after 4pm. It helped alot.

Thank you for wonderful support and encouragement to all.

7. Barbara April 25, 2017 at 10:48 pm #

I was told by my Dr.today that I tested positive for hip c today.now I’m starting a journey into the unknown. I’m not sure of anything,BT beating this thing& getting back to my life.I don’t know how I stumbled on you guys maybe GOD & I thank him! Reading the post’s, & the worship songs blesses me.I CAN DO THIS THRU CHRIST THAT STRENGTHENS ME!!!! thank you! Barbara