New Trial Drug for Hep C without Interferon: Mark’s Story, Part 1

iStock_000011820583Small (1)

New progress is being made with treatment for Hep C.  The new trial drug for Hep C without Interferon is currently being tested.  Hep C Warrior Mark, is a pioneer when it comes to bravely taking the challenge to be apart of this new trial study.

Hep C Warrior Mark

Hep C Warrior Mark

Here is our interview with Mark:

Connie: Mark, can you tell us when you were first diagnosed with Hepatitis C?

Mark:  Yes, the first week of January 2010.

Connie:  What genotype are you?

Mark:  Genotype 1a.

Connie: Have you done treatment for Hep C before, what were your results?

Mark: Yes, I was on treatment in February 2010 sponsored by Pharmaset.   It was a 48 week plan with Interferon injection once a week and Ribavirin 600 mg taken twice daily.  I was clear of the virus at my 12 week post treatment check up.  But the virus was back by my 24 week post treatment check up.

Connie:  Do you feel like you benefited in any way from your prior treatment?

Mark:  Yes, I felt real good after finishing treatment.  I even rode my bicycle the 150 miles for my last 24 week post treatment check up.  But slowly I became fatigued again.  So yes, I feel I benefited from treatment, but only briefly.

Connie:  What treatment are you currently doing?

Mark:  My current treatment plan just started in January 2013. It is with some of the newer meds.  My sponsor is Gilead Sciences.   I take one big pill once a day.

Connie:  I understand this new trial med is without Interferon.  Can you tell us more about which medication it is?

Mark:  Well, as far as which one, quoting from the protocol consent form it is:  A phase 3, multicenter, randomized, open label study to investigate the efficiency and safety of Sofosbuvir/GS-5885 fixed dose for 24 weeks in treatment experienced subjects with chronic genotype 1 HCV infection.

Connie:  What side effects have you experienced in this current treatment?

Mark:  Very minimal side effects if any at all.  There was some prickly feelings in my scalp and legs a couple of hours after my first dose.  On my second day I seem to feel weak for some reason.  But after that I have been feeling great and actually seem to have more energy than usual.  I had quite a few side effects while doing the last treatment with Interferon and Ribavirin back in 2010.  I experienced all the side effects with that treatment.  But so far with this new treatment, the side effects are nothing worth mentioning.

Thanks Mark.  We appreciate your sharing your journey with us.  You are a brave and Mighty Hep C Warrior!  We look forward to hearing more of your story tomorrow.

Stay tuned for Part 2 of Mark’s Hep C Treatment with the Brand New Trial Study without Interferon.

Do you have any questions or comments?  We’d love to hear from you.  Feel free to post your comments in the section below.

More to read:

1. Fighting Hepatitis C:  Strength for the Journey.
  2. Liver Facts and Hep C.
  3. Health Care Resources and Hep C Information.
  4. Hep C Post Treatment Week 17 Video Update.

16 Responses to New Trial Drug for Hep C without Interferon: Mark’s Story, Part 1

1. debbie February 19, 2013 at 2:23 pm #

Mark,
    Sounds like this new drug will be nicer to the body than the triple therapy. Praying all goes well with this new drug. I am waiting for it to be approved. I have relapsed in the last treatment, so hanging on for the next approved drug. Hang in there! Be strong! You can do it!
    Fellow hep c warrior,
    debbie

• Mark February 19, 2013 at 7:14 pm #

Debbie, from what I have read, this new drug should be approved soon. I have done so well with it so far. Not like last time with all the nasty side effects from the interferon and ribaviron. Thanks for the encouragement.

• Kim Koehler February 20, 2013 at 12:27 pm #

yes you can!

2. Connie M February 19, 2013 at 3:36 pm #

Mark,
    You are such a brave and courageous Hep C Warrior! We are sending applause, whistles and cheers, and most importantly, prayers, for every step of your journey! Blessings fellow Warrior~

• Mark February 19, 2013 at 7:16 pm #

Thanks so much Connie that really means a lot.

3. debbie February 19, 2013 at 10:27 pm #

Mark,
    I am hoping for a drug that will kick the virus out of my body. And less side effects would be great. The telepravir is the one that was worse for me. Oh and the nasty anemia! Mercy!
    So thankful for the front line soldiers like you who are willing to test the treatments.
    A big thank you!

• Kim Koehler February 20, 2013 at 12:26 pm #

and, to, Debbie, You are most welcome! We did it because like you we are warriors!

• Connie M February 20, 2013 at 2:56 pm #

Debbie,
      I agree, I appreciate front line soldiers like Mark who are going before us to pave the way. Thank you Mark! You are a Mighty Hep C Warrior!

4. Kim Koehler February 20, 2013 at 7:18 am #

This is very intriguing and exciting!

• Connie M February 20, 2013 at 5:22 pm #

Kim,
      I agree, this is very intriguing and exciting! I am so thrilled for Mark and proud of his courageous spirit.

5. Margaret Nicholas February 20, 2013 at 5:02 pm #

Dear Connie, I can hardly contain myself. Mark is only taking the pill!!! Jump for joy! Maybe it will be out when I am ready? Warrior Margee

• Connie M February 20, 2013 at 5:24 pm #

Margee,
      I know isn’t it hard to believe. I hope and pray for the success of this treatment and healing for so many.

6. Rick May 17, 2013 at 11:20 pm #

Mark, I’m glad I found this site. I was just diagnosed with Hep C genotype 1b. I find out at my next appointment my treatment options or if the doctor wants to delay until some of the new drugs are available. After reading about interferon and the side effects, I did nothing but cause myself stress. Your story gives me hope, keep up the good work. Rick

7. Joanne January 29, 2014 at 10:48 pm #

Yes you are lucky to be in a trial for this new drug on
    the rise. You started in Jan 2013 but it is not closer to
    being FDA approved. I know its a slow process, but how did you
    find out about clinical trial? Good luck in your therapy, you are indeed a mighty warrier.
    my address is 1132 Franklin Hill Rd
    Hallstead, PA 18822

• Connie M January 30, 2014 at 1:48 pm #

Hi Joanne,
      Thanks for writing and sharing today. I will get in touch with you about the information on clinical trials.

FYI: Mark is now Virus Clear and doing great.

Talk to you soon~

• Connie M February 20, 2014 at 6:31 pm #

Hi Joanne,
      Thank you for asking the question: How did Mark find out about the clinical trial?
      His answer: His doctor had passed on his information to the hospital and program that was holding the clinical trial.

If you want to know more information about clinical trials, here are some good websites for information:

Also, you can check with your doctor to find out if they know of any clinical trials going on in your area.

If you have further questions, feel free to let us know.