Daily Life, Other Hep C Patient Stories

New Trial Drug for Hep C without Interferon: Mark’s Story, Part 1

16 Comments 19 February 2013

iStock_000011820583Small (1)

New progress is being made with treatment for Hep C.  The new trial drug for Hep C without Interferon is currently being tested.  Hep C Warrior Mark, is a pioneer when it comes to bravely taking the challenge to be apart of this new trial study.

Hep C Warrior Mark

Hep C Warrior Mark

Here is our interview with Mark:

Connie: Mark, can you tell us when you were first diagnosed with Hepatitis C?

Mark:  Yes, the first week of January 2010.

Connie:  What genotype are you?

Mark:  Genotype 1a.

Connie: Have you done treatment for Hep C before, what were your results?

Mark: Yes, I was on treatment in February 2010 sponsored by Pharmaset.   It was a 48 week plan with Interferon injection once a week and Ribavirin 600 mg taken twice daily.  I was clear of the virus at my 12 week post treatment check up.  But the virus was back by my 24 week post treatment check up.

Connie:  Do you feel like you benefited in any way from your prior treatment?

Mark:  Yes, I felt real good after finishing treatment.  I even rode my bicycle the 150 miles for my last 24 week post treatment check up.  But slowly I became fatigued again.  So yes, I feel I benefited from treatment, but only briefly.

Connie:  What treatment are you currently doing?

Mark:  My current treatment plan just started in January 2013. It is with some of the newer meds.  My sponsor is Gilead Sciences.   I take one big pill once a day.

Connie:  I understand this new trial med is without Interferon.  Can you tell us more about which medication it is?

Mark:  Well, as far as which one, quoting from the protocol consent form it is:  A phase 3, multicenter, randomized, open label study to investigate the efficiency and safety of Sofosbuvir/GS-5885 fixed dose for 24 weeks in treatment experienced subjects with chronic genotype 1 HCV infection.

Connie:  What side effects have you experienced in this current treatment?

Mark:  Very minimal side effects if any at all.  There was some prickly feelings in my scalp and legs a couple of hours after my first dose.  On my second day I seem to feel weak for some reason.  But after that I have been feeling great and actually seem to have more energy than usual.  I had quite a few side effects while doing the last treatment with Interferon and Ribavirin back in 2010.  I experienced all the side effects with that treatment.  But so far with this new treatment, the side effects are nothing worth mentioning.

Thanks Mark.  We appreciate your sharing your journey with us.  You are a brave and Mighty Hep C Warrior!  We look forward to hearing more of your story tomorrow.

Stay tuned for Part 2 of Mark’s Hep C Treatment with the Brand New Trial Study without Interferon.

Do you have any questions or comments?  We’d love to hear from you.  Feel free to post your comments in the section below.

More to read:

1. Fighting Hepatitis C:  Strength for the Journey.
  2. Liver Facts and Hep C.
  3. Health Care Resources and Hep C Information.
  4. Hep C Post Treatment Week 17 Video Update

16 Comments so far

1. debbie says:

Mark,
    Sounds like this new drug will be nicer to the body than the triple therapy. Praying all goes well with this new drug. I am waiting for it to be approved. I have relapsed in the last treatment, so hanging on for the next approved drug. Hang in there! Be strong! You can do it!
    Fellow hep c warrior,
    debbie

2. Connie M says:

Mark,
    You are such a brave and courageous Hep C Warrior! We are sending applause, whistles and cheers, and most importantly, prayers, for every step of your journey! Blessings fellow Warrior~

3. debbie says:

Mark,
    I am hoping for a drug that will kick the virus out of my body. And less side effects would be great. The telepravir is the one that was worse for me. Oh and the nasty anemia! Mercy!
    So thankful for the front line soldiers like you who are willing to test the treatments.
    A big thank you!

4. Kim Koehler says:

This is very intriguing and exciting!

5. Margaret Nicholas says:

Dear Connie, I can hardly contain myself. Mark is only taking the pill!!! Jump for joy! Maybe it will be out when I am ready? Warrior Margee

6. Rick says:

Mark, I’m glad I found this site. I was just diagnosed with Hep C genotype 1b. I find out at my next appointment my treatment options or if the doctor wants to delay until some of the new drugs are available. After reading about interferon and the side effects, I did nothing but cause myself stress. Your story gives me hope, keep up the good work. Rick

7. Joanne says:

Yes you are lucky to be in a trial for this new drug on
    the rise. You started in Jan 2013 but it is not closer to
    being FDA approved. I know its a slow process, but how did you
    find out about clinical trial? Good luck in your therapy, you are indeed a mighty warrier.
    my address is 1132 Franklin Hill Rd
    Hallstead, PA 18822

Connect with Connie

Connie Welch's RSS Feed   Friend Connie Welch on Facebook   Follow Connie Welch on Twitter   Email Connie Welch

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Prayer Requests

praying hands

Feel free to send me your prayer requests privately or to comment on my blog posts so we can all join you in prayer.

Send a prayer request privately »

Scripture of the week

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

About Connie

Connie Welch headshot

Passionate Encourager for Christ, Writer, Speaker, and Hep C Warrior. "Hepatitis C lives with me. I don't live with it." Connie shares how God empowers us to live beyond our circumstances and walk in faith and victory daily .

Read Connie's bio

Christian Music

YouTube Preview Image

Be nourished and uplifted daily by God's message of hope and inspiration through music.

American Liver Foundation

Hep C Warrior Support Group

Hep C Warrior Support Group All Hands_edited-1

If you or a loved one are battling Hep C, YOU are a Hep C Warrior!
Friday Forum Support is here for YOU to engage with other Hep C Patients and family. Share info, ask questions, receive encouragement, support and voice your prayer requests.

The information on this website is for reference only. Talk to your physician for medical advice tailored for
your physical and mental condition. Do not stop or alter treatment in any way unless your physician advises.

Life Beyond Hepatitis C © 2012-2013 All Rights Reserved.    Site by Author Media